• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Professional

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anelmida

Can a Landlord that takes care of everything from advertising, managing, repairs and other duties related to a rental property be considered as a Real Estate Professional by the tax Code?

Snipes5

No. A real estate professional is someone who buys and sells real estate to make a living.

And why would you want to voluntarily pay self-employment taxes on rental income anyway, especially if you don't have to?

Snipes

LdiJ

JETX said:
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE
Since we are dealing with mostly federal law on this particular forum, its not a big deal if someone doesn't tell us their state.

JETX

LdiJ said:
Since we are dealing with mostly federal law on this particular forum, its not a big deal if someone doesn't tell us their state.
Okay, so with that.... we need to make a disclaimer on the forum saying:
"WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE, UNLESS your question solely involves an issue of US Federal law!!"

And expect people to be able to determine that fact BEFORE they post, right?? :eek:

HomeGuru

JETX said:
Okay, so with that.... we need to make a disclaimer on the forum saying:
"WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE, UNLESS your question solely involves an issue of US Federal law!!"

And expect people to be able to determine that fact BEFORE they post, right?? :eek:

**A: i agree and the tax code for each state may be different with respect to the subject question.

Snipes5

According to the location listed in the profile, which appears in the post, the OP lives in Nevada, which has no state income tax.

Snipes

JETX

Snipes5 said:
According to the location listed in the profile, which appears in the post, the OP lives in Nevada, which has no state income tax.
I don't know how many times we have to explain to newbies.... a Posters location does NOT show up when posting replies...... and we sure as hell shouldn't have to go looking for it anyway!!!

Snipes5

With all due respect, if you look at the first post in this thread, it says in the top right corner, "Location: Las Vegas, NV".

Trust me, I don't have time to go hunting around for posters' info either!

Snipes

JETX

Snipes5 said:
With all due respect, if you look at the first post in this thread, it says in the top right corner, "Location: Las Vegas, NV".

Trust me, I don't have time to go hunting around for posters' info either!

Snipes
This is getting ridiculous!!
The forum rules clearly say "WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE".
The poster did NOT do that.
When making a response to a post, the 'location' doesn't show up.
And finally, I don't care what the poster puts down for their location (if they do!). The ONLY relevant issue is what state venue applies to the problem or violation. And that is NOT necessarily the same as the claimed 'location'.

Jeeze, it is bad enough when people don't follow the rules.... and even worse when some idiot argues that they don't have to!! :eek:

Snipes5

I didn't say they didn't have to follow the rules, though I suppose if we all refused to answer if someone doesn't follow the rules, they would either leave or start doing what they are supposed to.

Unfortunately, some people just can't read.

Snipes

HomeGuru

Snipes5 said:
I didn't say they didn't have to follow the rules, though I suppose if we all refused to answer if someone doesn't follow the rules, they would either leave or start doing what they are supposed to.

Unfortunately, some people just can't read.

Snipes

**A: or don't want to......

JETX

Snipes5 said:
No one said that 'we' refused to answer. The appropriate reply when someone doesn't indicate their state is.... to provide them with 'the rule':
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

Seems pretty simple to most of us..... :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">