• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clydell

A year ago, my ex-husband phoned me and said that he received an additional $200 from our taxes because an error in computation on our returns that were filed when we were still married. He has refused to give me half, stating that when we were married, I "spent" the first tax returns. (I placed the tax return money in our joint checking account and signed his name on the back of the check as I have always done). What is my legal right to half of the refund? and how do I go about obtaining my share? small claims, lawyer/court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

clydell said:
A year ago, my ex-husband phoned me and said that he received an additional $200 from our taxes because an error in computation on our returns that were filed when we were still married. He has refused to give me half, stating that when we were married, I "spent" the first tax returns. (I placed the tax return money in our joint checking account and signed his name on the back of the check as I have always done). What is my legal right to half of the refund? and how do I go about obtaining my share? small claims, lawyer/court?
My response:

Absolutely !! You hire F. Lee Baily, Esq. and you pay him $25,000.00 so you can get your one half, or $100.00.

That'll show that dastardly ex-husband of yours !!

C'mon, get real, will ya?

IAAL

C

clydell

dear I am always liable...well, i would have assumed that the judge would have ordered him to pay expenses since he was with-holding something that was mine...and evidently you are in a class well beyond my means, because $100 is a lot to me...so you are the one who needs to get real and quit being so condescending to someone who struggles daily just to support her children and herself...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, blah, blah, blah. My heart bleeds for you.

Do you really believe a judge is going to waste taxpayer time and money on a trivial matter? Look around this Board, will you? Do you see ANY trivial posts? No. Most of these people are in real, serious, trouble - - and they need the help.

You should have gotten an education instead of being a baby maker. Then you wouldn't be worried about chump change all of your life.

Get a job. McDonald's is hiring. Leave the past alone.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-08-2000 at 12:06 AM]

C

clydell

well, that is why i asked about small claims court if you would have bothered to read my question; however, you are more interested in being the arrogant jerk that you are..
i am able to represent myself in small claims court, but just wanted to know what my legal stance was..not get a sermon on how to live my life...typical lawyer...not intelligent enough to answer what is asked but would rather run on and on about something which is none of his business...

and i have been working since i was 16...even when i was busy making babies...and raised my family first..worked full time and have my associates in mathematics...4.0
taking 24 hours this semester and will graduate this may with my teaching degree...so how does that make $100 any less?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

For a budding "teacher", your grammatical skills leave a lot to be desired. I can tell you, from what I've read of yours, you definitely shouldn't be teaching. I can tell because you have the attention span of a gnat.

"Oh, woe is me ! How will I survive without that $100.00?"

Didn't you read?

I read your comment about Small Claims Court. And, didn't I tell you that a judge shouldn't waste taxpayer time and money on such a nonsensical, and obvious, ploy of yours? Your gambit is merely an attempt to exact another pound of flesh from someone. He's no longer your husband. Get past it. He doesn't love you anymore. So, stop trying to hang on, and using a lousy $100.00 as a reason to hang on and get his attention back. He dislikes you. He doesn't want you. And, quite frankly, with your pettiness, I wouldn't either.

Why don't you just stand up on your own two feet and stop sponging off of other people? Make something of yourself, and do it on your own. You don't need anyone.

You're going to be a teacher, right?

Didn't I tell you to look around these Boards? Didn't I tell you that others on these boards have problems that make your "problem" look like a child's problem?

It's true. And it is.

And you're just stupified by someone finally standing up to you about it, and calling you what you are: a spoiled little brat.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-08-2000 at 11:31 AM]

C

clydell

..and once again you are so busy being condescending and arrogant and making conjectures about which you know absolutely nothing and even still refusing to answer the simple question I aksed...am I legally right in asking for the money? and how can you possibly see that as exacting a pound of flesh, when it is my share the arrogant jerk is keeping? or that it is sponging off of other people? you classify $100 as trivial yet equate it to sponging off of people when I want my share...

and as far as my grammatical skills..I don't even think you have any mental capacity to astutely judge them whatsoever considering you can't even spell definitely or gnat...

and I've been standing on my own two feet since I was 18 years old and never have had to make a life of being arrogant and condenscending to other people in order to make myself feel better as you seem to have to do....

LegalBeagle

clydell said:
..and once again you are so busy being condescending and arrogant and making conjectures about which you know absolutely nothing and even still refusing to answer the simple question I aksed...am I legally right in asking for the money? and how can you possibly see that as exacting a pound of flesh, when it is my share the arrogant jerk is keeping? or that it is sponging off of other people? you classify $100 as trivial yet equate it to sponging off of people when I want my share...

and as far as my grammatical skills..I don't even think you have any mental capacity to astutely judge them whatsoever considering you can't even spell definitely or gnat...

and I've been standing on my own two feet since I was 18 years old and never have had to make a life of being arrogant and condenscending to other people in order to make myself feel better as you seem to have to do....

It is obvious you are bitter and hateful towards your ex, you best course of action would be to 'spend' the resources getting help rather than being laughed out of court by a judge who will accuse you of being petty and vindictive.

C

clydell

that's such a joke...he is keeping my half of something I worked for, yet I'm being bitter and vindictive...but I see now, you are so ignorant that you probably don't even know the answer to what I'm asking which is why you're blowing smoke elsewhere...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're responding to two different contributors - - IAAL and LegalBeagle.

We have both been practicing law, combined, for many years. So, you don't think we know the legal answer? Your reverse psychology doesn't fly.

Why would we give you any legal answer when we don't agree with your position?

Look, since we agree to disagree, why do I have to keep flushing before you go away?

IAAL

C

clydell

...I understand now...this is just a forum for you to play God and choose whom you deem it necessary to annoint with your so called sageness...

and funny..that is what I thought "small claims" was for, to settle small financial disputes

my apologies for thinking it was a constructive, objective format where one could simply get the interpretation of the law rather than some idiots trying to play Freud...

and I don't waste my time with petty games such as reverse psychology...I believe in my first question I DIRECTLY asked just what my legal rights were? and you were the one busy dancing around the issues like you always do...

You would have saved me a lot of time telling me the first time that you did not agree with my position; therefore, you would prefer not to advise me on the subject.

And evidently, you have to "keep flushing" because you aren't intelligent to shut up and walk away rather than feeling as if you have to defend your arrogance and ignorance to someone who has the guts to call you on it.

LegalBeagle

clydell said:
...I understand now...this is just a forum for you to play God and choose whom you deem it necessary to annoint with your so called sageness...

and funny..that is what I thought "small claims" was for, to settle small financial disputes

my apologies for thinking it was a constructive, objective format where one could simply get the interpretation of the law rather than some idiots trying to play Freud...

and I don't waste my time with petty games such as reverse psychology...I believe in my first question I DIRECTLY asked just what my legal rights were? and you were the one busy dancing around the issues like you always do...

You would have saved me a lot of time telling me the first time that you did not agree with my position; therefore, you would prefer not to advise me on the subject.

And evidently, you have to "keep flushing" because you aren't intelligent to shut up and walk away rather than feeling as if you have to defend your arrogance and ignorance to someone who has the guts to call you on it.
I believe I gave you an interpretation of the law when I told you the judge would laugh you out of court. So, now you say thank you ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">