• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search and seizure of a minor in school

• Thread starter carolthelibraria
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carolthelibraria

My son's locker was searched and the teacher found a ten dollar bill in his bag.

Earlier,a classmate lost her money at a school event, told the teacher who in turn asked the children if anyone knew anything about the lost money. No one reported anything at that time.

My son said he found a money filled envelope with nothing printed on it, kept it and forgot about it.He said he didn't think it was the girls money that he found.

While in gym the teacher searched all the kids lockers and found 10 dollars in his zipped book bag. The girl lost $14. The teacher accused my son of ( not reporting found money)keeping found money . He had ten and she lost fourteen.

I received a notice to attend a conference. Before I go, I want to know if this was a legal search.

Was this a legal search? He did not violate any school rules and he did not violate a law? Was there reasonable suspicion to legally search lockers and personal property? No law or rule was violated? Yet, I believe my son should have been a good samaritan and asked around to return the found money, or he should have told the teacher that he found money especially after she asked.
He didn't really break any rules or laws for a search , did he? Please advise!!!
Carol from Illinois!

[Edited by carolthelibraria on 12-07-2000 at 10:25 PM]

Python32

Completely legal

In sending your child to school, you agree that the locker is on school property and is searchable by the school. Any conclusions the school may draw however, you may challenge, especially in the face of inconsistencies.

sandyclaus

In sending your child to school, you agree that the locker is on school property and is searchable by the school. Any conclusions the school may draw however, you may challenge, especially in the face of inconsistencies.
Congratulations on necroposting and reviving a 12-year-old post.

Antigone*

Twelve years - is this a new record?
This one might just be. The funny thing about it, is that it looks like the poster never got her question answered so although Python came to the party a little late:rolleyes: now carolthelibrarian has her question answered:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">