• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carbon Dioxide Coming From Furnace > Is this True ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedsGoodAdvice

Maryland is my state

Hi Everybody

Here's my situation ...
About 3 weeks ago I noticed a sulphur like smell / fumes coming from my oil furnace while it was on , not only could I smell this smell but I could also taste it in my mouth and I noticed that it also leaves a sooty like film on anything in the house that is styrofoam , like my styrofoam cups that sit in the kitchen area .
I contacted my oil company as I do have a service policy and they sent out a tech who came and inspected the furnace and didnot seem to know what the actual smell was , he just said that my chimney wasnot pulling like it should be and that was that .
He left and 2 days later I received another call from another guy at my oil company who said he wanted to come out to inspect the furnace .
OK , so he comes out today 2/6/06 and according to him I have carbon DIOXIDE fumes coming from the furnace .
Said I need a new furnace and have 7 days to get the new furnace installed by them otherwise according to him he has to turn the info over to some state environmental board ( cannot remember the name ) and they will fine me and force me to shut down my furnace .

IS THIS TRUE ???

The new furnace is gonna cost me 5200.00 installed .
Now I am wondering if this is true or is this just a sales pitch to make me buy a new furnace and 5200.00 seems high to me is that an average price ???
I asked this guy from the oil company is there any workaround like repairs etc that can be done other than paying 5 grand for a new furnace he says no it has to come out and a new one put in within 7 days ????

Is this true or am I being Scrued here because thats the way I feel .

Please Advise .

Last edited:

racer72

I would not use the furnace, it is a health hazard. You can call around for estimates and buy from who you like. You don't have to buy from the company that did the inspection.

Howrothe

Have it inspected by somone else carbon dioxcide is odor less and tasteless so i would have it looked over by somone else

By the way, it's carbon monoxide not dioxide. Take the above advice and get some estimates from local companies. Carbon monoxide is odorless & invisible. Saturation in the bloodstream will lead to flu like symptoms, light headed, dizzy, nauseous, etc. There are various sources for a carbon moxide problem (sooted up flue, cracked combustion chamber, etc.). Sometimes you can replace the affected parts, but depending on the age of the furnace, parts may no longer be available. And usually, replacing damaged parts can cost near as much as a whole new, much more efficient furnace.

The $5200 price tag does sound a bit high, although I don't do business in Maryland. Get some more opinions and a carbon monoxide detector (about $50) from a hardware store.

BL

I used to work for a HVAC Co.

They cheated customers into buying new etc .

One time the intentionally ruined a part on the a customer's older furnace , and told them the needed a new one , and that it leaked too much gas .

The utility Co. came out ( the ones that will and can Red tag it for non use ) , and come to find out the chimney Flu had a birds nest in it almost completely blocking the chimney .

That Co. then said the furnace part could be fixed , cleaned out the nest etc .

Check with you BBB and see if the companies your dealing with are listed with them , and if there is any complaints .

Yes , sometimes they do need to be replaced though .

Always get 2nd and 3rd opinions and estimates .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">