• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction On How To File Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdh29072

I live in South Carolina. My question: Does a county, family court judge have legal jurisdiction to order a person to file their income taxes a certain way. My wife and I recently separated. She runs and in-home daycare business. She hired an attorney to schedule a relief hearing to establish child support. One other thing she also asked the judge was to order me to file a joint tax return with my spouse. I would prefer to file married filing separately. My wife does not file her taxes for her business on a quarterly basis and the taxes that I pay throughout the year in payroll deductions usuaully helps balance things out. She keeps no receipts and doing them is a nightmare. My spouse claims that if she is not allowed to file with me, she will owe thousands of dollars in taxes which is true.

I question whether or not a family court judge has authority to order me to do this, as I think tax filing would fall under a federal laws? Does anyone here have any information that might help me out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">