• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle seized, for possession of paraphanalia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunni

A couple of friends plead guilty to a Class D Felony, State of Arkansas, Possession of paraphanalia. Their car was seized at the time of arrest, but it has a mechanic's lien on it. What happens, and what are their chances of getting their vehicle back at all? Some have said since it was a Felony, and involved drugs, that they can't get it back, and the mechanic is out of luck, others think the State will have to pay the mechanic. Are any of us even close?

V

Virginian

I am not an attorney but a business owner, so this is just my opinion....The mechanic who holds the lien should contact the State and file a claim. I suspect the car will be sold at auction and the mechanic may be able to recover his costs. Or, the mechanic can continue trying to recover his costs from the owner of the car. I assume the car was seized from the shop? (Else why did the mechanic release it without the lien being satisfied?)

When selling a home with a repair lien on it, there is not clear title until that lien is paid off. The mechanic's lien may be the same, and follow the car til the lien is paid off. So, for the State to give clear title to the car when they auction it, they may have to satisfy this lien first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">