• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment against Canadian citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jchiego

I am currently in the process of filing a suit against my ex-roommate who broke his lease.

He is a Canadian citizen but is a permanent US resident with a Visa. I have a suspicion he is planning to move back to Canada.

What actions can I take to enforce a judgment on him if he moves back, and is there a way to keep him here until our case is heard in court?

Any advise would help!

seniorjudge

jchiego said:
I am currently in the process of filing a suit against my ex-roommate who broke his lease.

He is a Canadian citizen but is a permanent US resident with a Visa. I have a suspicion he is planning to move back to Canada.

What actions can I take to enforce a judgment on him if he moves back, and is there a way to keep him here until our case is heard in court?

Any advise would help!
Q: What actions can I take to enforce a judgment on him if he moves back

A: US law only.

Q: and is there a way to keep him here until our case is heard in court?

A: No.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
seniorjudge said:
Q: What actions can I take to enforce a judgment on him if he moves back

A: US law only.

Seems to me that a question about how to enforce a US judgement against a citizen of a foreign country IS US law. Would be interesting to hear what steps can be taken by the OP to enforce a judgement (if one is received).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">