• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it public record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spaycace

Recently, an individual said they used my name and birthdate to "look through my file." They claimed there was a warrant out for me, and that accessing information in "my file" was a matter of public record. My question(s) follow: First, is it legal for this individual, or anyone else to access my "file" other than law enforcement or legal professionals? Second, if this so-called warrant really exists in a state other than that which I live, can I find out what the warrant is actually for and when it was filed? Third, what actions can I take if this was an illegal search?

N

nuyuky

Hello, Lt. speaking. I was serving back then. Anyway, It depends on what kind of "Public Record" you are concerned of. Was it a police file, or record? If it was, then it is confidential information until it becomes a court record. Once it becomes a court record, anyone who requests this type of information fills out a manifest application, or information request, which is filed and kept as record in that court. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">