• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violence at the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kapua

I am employed by a well known petroleum company in my state. I have several questions concerning what seems to be descrimination by my station manager at the gas station I work at.
1. Can my immediate supervisor disclose information about me such as:
-shifts I am available to work
-wanting to relocate me without my knowledge
to other store managers in the company without my consent or knowledge.
2. If he is having a bad morning, can my supervisor:
-slam cash register till drawers close
-pound cash register keys
-angrily reprimand employees on the sales floor in
the presence of co-workers and customers.
-take out anger due to computer or technical prob-
lems whether or not the employee is at fault for
the technicalities.
3. Write out a verbal warning and have an employee sign
this verbal warning. Isn't it only written warnings
that get written out?
4. If the head of the Human Resource Department has informed me that I can take my vacation at any time of the year, does my store manager, or his supervisor the Area Manager, have the right to tell me that I cannot take my vacation from the months of Nov.1-Jan.1?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

1. Yes, if it applies to work issues/efficiency. Maybe NO if he is saying false things about you, that might arise to a good suit of defamation. BUt this depends on your state law about workplace defamation -- if actionable or not.

2. Person has issues and yes if he is the boss. NO if others feel they are in imminent danger of being hit.

3. Turned a verbal warning into written -- can't force employee to sign.

4. Nope, human resources IS the entity to handle this matter.

Here are three places you should read/research:

FLSA and Department of Labor: http://www.dol.gov/dol/esa/public/whd_org.htm

Go to your state law and look up either labor code or employer-employee and go from there:

https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/statecodes.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">