• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two years after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hazel Wilkins

2 years after our divorce, my ex-husband is taking me to court for a share of snow village collection my parents bought my 10 year old & me each year as Christmas gift. Value is about $200.He was involved & is now married to a legal secretary in the law office that did our divorce papers & now handling this case. I feel like David/Goliath situation as a sinle Mom fighting the big guys. He calls & harasses me at my job daily--I'm an RN in a hospital.What can i do? This set was not mentioned in our settlement.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Hazel Wilkins said:
2 years after our divorce, my ex-husband is taking me to court for a share of snow village collection my parents bought my 10 year old & me each year as Christmas gift. Value is about $200.He was involved & is now married to a legal secretary in the law office that did our divorce papers & now handling this case. I feel like David/Goliath situation as a sinle Mom fighting the big guys. He calls & harasses me at my job daily--I'm an RN in a hospital.What can i do? This set was not mentioned in our settlement.
My response:

Oh, please !!

Send me your address and I'll send you the lousy $100.00, which represents his half.

Just give him half of the pieces and be done.

Geez, I cannot believe how petty some of you people are in your posts !!

You'll spend $3000.00 to try and keep $100.00 worth of crap, that you can buy at WalMart? Oh, please !

You and Clydell (see her post on this Board) should get together. You're both fighting over $200.00. Petty.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-08-2000 at 02:32 AM]

T

Tigres

IAAL, I could understand about the other one, but his man is harassing her. And $100 can mean the world to a single parent. Are you turning into the grinch? :( Seems more petty of him to be trying to get half of her snow village! He's remarried for Pete's sake! He should move on! :p

The thing is, when it comes to my ex, I don't give in on ANHYTHING I don't have to. Why? Because every time he gets his way, it causes him to try 10 more things that pop into his head. Even if it was $10, I wouldn't simply give it to him. If he threatened to sue me, I would ask what his legal basis is for having the items returned to him. If he actually had one that I could not challenge, I would hand him the money. Otherwise, no way.

$100 might not be that much to you, but I doubt that Hazel has a very comfortable financial situation.

So,
the question is, what can she do about the harrassment, as he does not appear to have much legal grounds for the GIFTS from her family to HER and HER daughter specifically that were NOT mentioned in the divorce paperwork. Hazel, I'm also curious about your statement that he is married to the legal secretary who works for law firm that did your divorce papers and is now handling this case as well? Were they employed by you? If so, wouldn't this be an excellent place to write a nice letter to them about ethics? Just a thought...

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/big/retard.gif

H

Hazel Wilkins

Thanks for so many helpful replies. The $100 is important but more important to me is stopping this from happening again & again. The legal secretary & my husband were "involved" unbeknownst to me. She typed up the papers via her law firm which were then presented to me. I had an attorney, too, but not a good one. There were a lot of threats as my ex & his lady friend are body builders (same gym) & I became afraid physically so the divorce went thru quickly. He still calls to remind me how he'll "take me to court" over anything! $200 snow village proves that!

T

Tigres

Ok, now this is what you do. Next time he calls, you get someone on the line to witness what he says to you. After you have a witness a few times, you explain to him that you will be getting a restraining order if he calls one more time. Get all the paperwork but the dates filled out and the moment he does it again, you file for a temporary restraining order and follow through with getting the more permanent one. If he calls after you have the TRO, you call the police.

In the meantime, you take a self defense course. Hopefully, you won't need the skill you will learn, but it will give you the confidence not to blink if there is ever another physical sounding threat. If he approaches you in person, carry a tape recorder and/or a video camera. Get a recording device for your home phone if he calls you there. Find out what your state laws are and if it is two-party, inform him at the beginning that you will be recording.

Wa Laa! He can huff and puff all he wants, it is just more evidence for you.

Most importantly, keep your sense of humoUr. Learn to laugh at the foolish and idiotic choices he is making in his dealings with you. Oh, and remind him the divorce is over and to please have a great life, but that he really should move on and leave you out of it.

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net4/165.gif

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">