• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer fowled-up Land Contract/Home up for Sheriffs Sale/Lawyer FLED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HoosierDaddy

In smalltown Indiana, in the year 2000, I decided to make an offer on the duplex where I had been renting for two and a half years. The offer was accepted and I went to the Yellow Pages to find an attorney to write a nice legally binding contract. Under Attorneys/Real Estate, I found "THE FIRM." I called and was invited to come in the next day to see an attorney.

Upon my arrival I was introduced to "TIM," an associate who I was told would write the contract for me. I had taken with me several pages of notes on articles that I wished to have included in the contract. "Tim" and I went over the items and discussed them at length so I am certain that he understood precisely what I was asking for. Some terms to be included were one year interest free, variable rate interest (based at 8%) beginning the second year, monthly payments of $400.00 - overpayments (in increments of $100.00) were allowed to buy-down the interest rate by .1% per instance.

My intent was of course to buy down the interest rate to zero within the first year. When asked "can I do this legally?" "Tim" replied "if you can get him to sign it you can," and assured me that everything would be included in good legaleese.

At the signing, all parties were presented with a copy of the contract and an amortization table which "Tim" explained showed no payment due for the first year due to the fact that "we don't have anything in our computer for first year interest free." He then advised me that due to the fact that no payments were actually due in the first year, EVERYTHING that I paid - from the $400.00 at signing, through the first year period, would count against buying down the interest rate.

:eek: EUREKA! :) I loved it, and I began keeping record with notes on each check issued to the seller as to the interest rate and principle balance - relying on the figures on his amortization table.

The Seller though, he didn't like it so well! He watched as month by month the interest and principle was eaten away. He started arguing over it, and at one point even started refusing to accept payments from me. Then he had the unmitigated audacity to DIE! That's when his widow entered the picture with a vengeance! She hired a lawyer who wanted to cancel the contract!

Going back to "the firm" I wanted to speak to "Tim," only to be informed that he was no longer an associate! A senior partner looked over the toilet paper that "Tim" had called a contract and told me that he felt they had a moral obligation to help me. He fought the cancellation of the contract but the court said I had made my error in relying upon the papers prepared by "Tim" in the first place.

The Court found that I am the "owner in equity" of the property, but that having relied upon the contract and amortization table as prepared, to reach my figures, that my figures were off and judgment was foreclosure. Leaving me owing in excess of $31,000.00 including attorney fees and court costs! This had to be paid NOW to keep the place from going to Sheriffs sale! Still trying but if I could come up with financing, I wouldn't have needed "Tim" to screw-up the land purchase contract in the first place. This place is going to Sheriffs Sale due to the incompetency of that POS and I'm PISSED!:mad:

Having tracked-down "Tim" at his new practice and making certain that he understood just what kind of mess I've found myself in due to his sloppy work and incompetence, he advised me to sue "THE FIRM!" (I don't want to do that because they tried to help after "Tim" screwed me up) "I was a member of that firm when this took place" he tells me. "I'm only responsible for what goes on here, not what went on there."

TELL IT TO TONY KIRITSIS "Tim!" I'm SERIOUSLY considering changing my name to that! I think I've even perfected the "deadmans line" that Tony used. My only question though - :confused: do I take time to go to the State Bar Disciplinary Committee - :confused: do I waste my time with another lawyer who would undoubtedly run up against the same small town crap that was encountered by the partner from the firm - or do I just make that final visit to "Tim":mad: and demonstrate what happens when you screw someone over and laugh in their face? "Not responsible" - INDEED!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
HoosierDaddy said:
In smalltown Indiana, in the year 2000, I decided to make an offer on the duplex where I had been renting for two and a half years. The offer was accepted and I went to the Yellow Pages to find an attorney to write a nice legally binding contract. Under Attorneys/Real Estate, I found "THE FIRM." I called and was invited to come in the next day to see an attorney.

Upon my arrival I was introduced to "TIM," an associate who I was told would write the contract for me. I had taken with me several pages of notes on articles that I wished to have included in the contract. "Tim" and I went over the items and discussed them at length so I am certain that he understood precisely what I was asking for. Some terms to be included were one year interest free, variable rate interest (based at 8%) beginning the second year, monthly payments of $400.00 - overpayments (in increments of $100.00) were allowed to buy-down the interest rate by .1% per instance.

My intent was of course to buy down the interest rate to zero within the first year. When asked "can I do this legally?" "Tim" replied "if you can get him to sign it you can," and assured me that everything would be included in good legaleese.

At the signing, all parties were presented with a copy of the contract and an amortization table which "Tim" explained showed no payment due for the first year due to the fact that "we don't have anything in our computer for first year interest free." He then advised me that due to the fact that no payments were actually due in the first year, EVERYTHING that I paid - from the $400.00 at signing, through the first year period, would count against buying down the interest rate.

:eek: EUREKA! :) I loved it, and I began keeping record with notes on each check issued to the seller as to the interest rate and principle balance - relying on the figures on his amortization table.

The Seller though, he didn't like it so well! He watched as month by month the interest and principle was eaten away. He started arguing over it, and at one point even started refusing to accept payments from me. Then he had the unmitigated audacity to DIE! That's when his widow entered the picture with a vengeance! She hired a lawyer who wanted to cancel the contract!

Going back to "the firm" I wanted to speak to "Tim," only to be informed that he was no longer an associate! A senior partner looked over the toilet paper that "Tim" had called a contract and told me that he felt they had a moral obligation to help me. He fought the cancellation of the contract but the court said I had made my error in relying upon the papers prepared by "Tim" in the first place.

The Court found that I am the "owner in equity" of the property, but that having relied upon the contract and amortization table as prepared, to reach my figures, that my figures were off and judgment was foreclosure. Leaving me owing in excess of $31,000.00 including attorney fees and court costs! This had to be paid NOW to keep the place from going to Sheriffs sale! Still trying but if I could come up with financing, I wouldn't have needed "Tim" to screw-up the land purchase contract in the first place. This place is going to Sheriffs Sale due to the incompetency of that POS and I'm PISSED!:mad:

Having tracked-down "Tim" at his new practice and making certain that he understood just what kind of mess I've found myself in due to his sloppy work and incompetence, he advised me to sue "THE FIRM!" (I don't want to do that because they tried to help after "Tim" screwed me up) "I was a member of that firm when this took place" he tells me. "I'm only responsible for what goes on here, not what went on there."

TELL IT TO TONY KIRITSIS "Tim!" I'm SERIOUSLY considering changing my name to that! I think I've even perfected the "deadmans line" that Tony used. My only question though - :confused: do I take time to go to the State Bar Disciplinary Committee - :confused: do I waste my time with another lawyer who would undoubtedly run up against the same small town crap that was encountered by the partner from the firm - or do I just make that final visit to "Tim":mad: and demonstrate what happens when you screw someone over and laugh in their face? "Not responsible" - INDEED!!

First of all, I hope you are joking about the final visit to "tim". If not you will find yourself meeting a guy named Bubba. You can either sue (which would include suing both The Firm and Tim) or report Tim to the State Bar Disciplinary Committee. The Firm bears some responsibility for Tim's actions as he was their employee and working within the scope of his employment when he wrote the contract.

HoosierDaddy

Ohiogal,
There's no escaping the truth. The prospect of taking that piece of scum directly to task for his attitude of impunity and irresponsibility over his actions will always be a fantasy for me. Your caution of the prospect of my finding myself "meeting a guy named Bubba" is, of course, something of a deterrent. A greater deterrent is the fact that while demanding that "Tim" assume responsibility for his actions, I would be less than fair in not demanding as much from myself.
So, although "pulling a Kiritsis" would - I am certain - be fulfilling and exhilarating at the moment, I couldn't bring myself to actions that I know I would rue later. Actions that I would regret not due to the prospect of bubba, but because he's not dragging me down that far!

Nile Stanton just wrote this to me:
"I had great sympathy/empathy for Tony, but I wish to hell he'd not done what he did. He was embarrassed and sorry for what he did, too, by the way. Tony was really a very good man who didn't want to do what he did but felt compelled to. He saw no alternative."

I know what Tony must have been feeling after the fact. It had to be a feeling of "DAMN! They won after all! They're walking around free, and I've been labeled some kind of nut for letting them drive me this far!"
You see, living with myself worries me more than living with bubba. I really thank Mr Stanton for pointing out the weak link in the tactics of a man who had become something of a personal hero to me since this whole business started working on my nerves!

Probably the most influential advice I've gotten concerning my fantasy came from "Ralph" the senior partner at the firm who has helped me so far in trying to straighten-up the mess made by "Tim." He just keeps assuring me that "Tim" isn't worth it. And, you know? He's right! Why should I let his screwing-up a portion of my life drive me to screwing-up the rest of it?

You said, Ohiogal, that I could sue but that it would entail suing both the firm and Tim. Also that the firm had to bear some responsibility for his actions while he was with them. Those are a couple of the things that help place me in the conundrum in which I find myself.

The Firm, and in particular, Ralph, have never from the start of this trouble over the contract attempted to deny any responsibility for the actions taken by their former associate. Quite the contrary. From the start, I was told that they felt they had "a duty" to help me in the matter. I do feel that Ralph and everyone that I've dealt with or encountered at the firm have been open and honest with me in all matters. And I feel they did everything within their power to straighten-out the screw-up in an attempt to save the contract. It just wasn't enough due to the extent of the screw-up! They tried to help! That's why I am loath to bring suit against the firm.

What I need is a plan!:confused:

HoosierDaddy

postscript - non-resolution

Since having resolved to follow not only the implied advice of Ohiogal, buy also that given me by Ralph and Nile Stanton, it would seem that my options are being further limited by "the system" and it's inadequacies.

Having written a letter to the Indiana State Bar Disciplinary Committee and having received no response or acknowledgment, my options are proving to be more and more limited. Limited not only by the fact that my request to the only agency/org that I know of to turn to goes un-noticed, but also by the fact that I have been informed by multiple attorneys in this area that "you won't find anyone to file suit against another lawyer." Limited by the fact that I'm working against the clock here as the time for sheriffs sale looms ever closer. Limited further, and made a more bitter pill, by the fact that the POS who's directly responsible for this fiasco shrugs-off any liability while he laughs in my face!

I stated above that what I need is a plan - but I have something better than a plan to follow. Tony scripted it for me! I admit that the "legal jungle" is an environment that I find hostile in the least, an environment into which I dare not venture without a qualified and professional guide. However, having been informed by the local "guides" that they refuse to venture into that environment on my behalf, not due to the quest itself, but rather, due to the nature of the beast at large. My only option on this private safari for justice, it would seem, is going to be to corner that beast outside of his natural habitat - the jungle in which he seems to think he has so effectively lost me.

One way or another "Tim" is going to have to face the fact that it's a real world. And in the real world, your actions and attitude can result in real consequences!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">