• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

McDonald's Hair Length Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pnaent

To whomever can answer this question:
Recently and friend and I applied for a job at McDonald's. Everything was fine, we took the personality test, and got to the interview part. The manager went over my application and said all was fine except for the fact that McDonald's will not hire any male with hair touching the collar. My friend, who is a female and has longer hair than I, was not told such a thing and was hired on the spot. Her hair was in a bun, but it still was touching her collar; nonetheless, hair length was not even discussed with her.
This I feel is discrimination as clear as any other form of discrimination. Do companies have the right to enforce policy that is not uniform for both sexes? Quite frankly, with the advent of hairnets and hats, I do not think that hair length should be an issue. The manager went on to say that if I cut my hair to the appropriate length I would be hired. Please, can someone let me know if I should immediately find an attorney? This is not the first time this has happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Patrick Harlow
[email protected]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

What state are you from?
To avoid discrimination lawsuits, employers should adopt written dress codes founded on rules of decency and safety rather than personal taste or prejudice. All employees should have a written copy of the policy, and violators should be disciplined equally. Get the corporate policy handbook from your friend who was hired. See what it says about hair length for men and women.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/esa/public/whd_org.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">