• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for gifts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwhitmer

My now-exboyfriend is threatening to sue me for three pieces of jewelry which were christmas and birthday gifts during the course of our relationship. His first "offer" was to discuss splitting the value, and I told him they were gifts and there would be no split. He has a history of being sue-happy when angry (with ex-wife and her husband), and I just need to know whether or not to be concerned. The total value is probably no more than $2000 or $3000 MAX.

It's not like I'm asking for his share of rent and living expenses for the last year, the cruise to mexico AND several other trips that I paid for, dining out weekly, and the multiple gifts that I gave him! I just want to be done. :(

seniorjudge

dwhitmer said:
My now-exboyfriend is threatening to sue me for three pieces of jewelry which were christmas and birthday gifts during the course of our relationship. His first "offer" was to discuss splitting the value, and I told him they were gifts and there would be no split. He has a history of being sue-happy when angry (with ex-wife and her husband), and I just need to know whether or not to be concerned. The total value is probably no more than $2000 or $3000 MAX.

It's not like I'm asking for his share of rent and living expenses for the last year, the cruise to mexico AND several other trips that I paid for, dining out weekly, and the multiple gifts that I gave him! I just want to be done. :(

This is a very common kind of small claims case; let's hope the judge sees it for what it is: a scam by your ex-boyfriend.

Just keep repeating "gift" very nicely...maybe the judge will understand.

dwhitmer

sorry about that...California

Sorry about that, wasn't aware...little freaked out right now...he's refusing to return my house key until some time next week.

seniorjudge

dwhitmer said:
Sorry about that, wasn't aware...little freaked out right now...he's refusing to return my house key until some time next week.
Change the locks now...he sounds like a stalker.

HomeGuru

dwhitmer said:

**A: I am sure your sexual favors amount to more than the $3000, so tell him "Honey, we're even"

garrula lingua

Save your bills showing the gifts you gave him.

If sued, argue to the court that they are gifts, similar to the ones you gave him. Note if the dates of your aqcuisition coincide with your birthdays, christmas, valentines, etc.

stephenk

Unless he can convince the judge that somehow he was only loaning you a necklace or ring (that doesn't fit him), don't worry about it.

Betty

My understanding is once a gift is given it is a completed transaction. At the time of the "gifting", ownership transferred to you. I agree - I wouldn't worry about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">