• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcpatsty

I've received a judgement against a lawyer in NC that breached a contract that they wrote. Is this lawyer liable for malpractice.

Thank you in advance.

seniorjudge

dcpatsty said:
I've received a judgement against a lawyer in NC that breached a contract that they wrote. Is this lawyer liable for malpractice.

Thank you in advance.
Since this lawyer did not represent you in the contract, you have no cause against him for malpractice.

The clients may have a cause for malpractice.

But no one can answer your question without knowing the facts.

dcpatsty

Thank you so much for your response.

You asked for background, may I offer briefly:

The first was an Offer to Purchase a house.

A later agreement called for me to upgrade the property at her expense, payable at closing.

She was seeking 100% financing

With questionalbe credit, she only got 80%

I provided the balance

Two days later: With 100% financing secured, she breached (See: Judgement) both contracts citing a) it took two loans instead of one and b) the agreement was reached with her husband without her consent (contrary to NC Common Law)

She did not show at the hearing, telling me a week prior that she knew nothing of this action. I have receipts of Pre-Trial Summation and Motion to Amend being received by her up to 14 days prior. At the hearing she received a Judgement for $100 for not showing. Is that Contempt?

I persued this action on my own without counsel. She is a cum laude graduate of a major university working for the largest firm in the state. I'm a layman.

Thank you all for your attention to this matter and any input that you have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">