• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plaintiff strategy in misrepresentation small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgoldsmith

Hi! I've filed a small claims case in King County, WA, in which I allege that the defendant knew of an expensive-to-repair, not-readily-apparent defect - a blown head gasket - but failed to disclose this fact prior to sale. The defendant put the engine in the vehicle himself (or at least claims to have done so), and yet claims he was unaware of the defect. I contend that this is, literally, incredible: that if he had the knowledge and skill to take an engine out of one car and install it another, certainly he must have known of the defect. Of course, I have no physical or documentary evidence that he had this knowledge, and thus it's basically a "my word against his" situation. Perhaps relevant: after I learned of the defect (a week after purchase, so it seems unlikely that the problem didn't already exist when I purchased it), I gave the defendant two different opportunities to "make good," which he flatly refused. The general advice I seek is how best to present/make my case. In particular, the defendant will no doubt emphasize that it was an "as is" sale, that I was fully aware of and acknowledged this, and that I agreed to these terms of sale without first seeking an indpendent vehicle inspection, all of which claims are true. Can I contend that despite this, the defendant still had a legal responsibility to disclose all known defects? Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DG

Litigation!

dgoldsmith said:
Hi! I've filed a small claims case in King County, WA, in which I allege that the defendant knew of an expensive-to-repair, not-readily-apparent defect - a blown head gasket - but failed to disclose this fact prior to sale. The defendant put the engine in the vehicle himself (or at least claims to have done so), and yet claims he was unaware of the defect. I contend that this is, literally, incredible: that if he had the knowledge and skill to take an engine out of one car and install it another, certainly he must have known of the defect. Of course, I have no physical or documentary evidence that he had this knowledge, and thus it's basically a "my word against his" situation. Perhaps relevant: after I learned of the defect (a week after purchase, so it seems unlikely that the problem didn't already exist when I purchased it), I gave the defendant two different opportunities to "make good," which he flatly refused. The general advice I seek is how best to present/make my case. In particular, the defendant will no doubt emphasize that it was an "as is" sale, that I was fully aware of and acknowledged this, and that I agreed to these terms of sale without first seeking an indpendent vehicle inspection, all of which claims are true. Can I contend that despite this, the defendant still had a legal responsibility to disclose all known defects? Any other advice would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DG

My response:

You better look up the definition of "Caveat Emptor", and then dismiss your case. Where did you get this statement: "the defendant still had a legal responsibility to disclose all known defects?" Who said? Show me that law.

IAAL

dgoldsmith

Litigation! said:
My response:

You better look up the definition of "Caveat Emptor", and then dismiss your case. Where did you get this statement: "the defendant still had a legal responsibility to disclose all known defects?" Who said? Show me that law.

IAAL
" 'Where did you get this statement: "the defendant still had a legal responsibility to disclose all known defects?' " Wishful thinking, I guess: I just thought if a seller _knows_ something is wrong with something they're selling and doesn't disclose it but _claims_ that they've disclosed all known defects (it occurs to me that I may not have made clear this detail before), then that lie constitutes fraud and renders the seller leagally liable. (Also, I was previously counseled - albeit, not here and not by a lawyer - that small claims cases are sometimes decided on the basis of justice, as opposed to the letter of the law.)

DG

DG

racer72

As a veteran of the King County small claims court system, I would say your only chance of winning would be if the defendant fails to appear and you are granted a default judgment. In many cases when the defendant does not show, the judge will continue the case to give the defendant a chance to appear. Small claims court must go by the letter of the law, they are no different than any other court in that respect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">