• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did they have the right to tow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arizona2029

Parked my car after checking for "Towing Zone" signs. None found. Parked at apartment complex. 1 1/2 hours later after visiting my friend my car was gone. Checked with local law and officer stated that private property owners have to have signs stating that it's a tow away zone. Talked to Apartment manager and they said they told and added it to my friends lease that they have to tell their friends about the assigned parking. Who is responsible? me, the management for not posting signs, or my friend for not telling me?

seniorjudge

Checked with local law and officer stated that private property owners have to have signs stating that it's a tow away zone.

First, give us the EXACT wording of this law (with an internet link, if possible).

Arizona2029

Specific codes/laws...

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Arizona/yuma/yumacitycodeyumaarizona?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:yuma_az

The link above is where i found this...

212-15 Parking in Driveway or Private Property.
(A) No person shall park a vehicle in any private driveway or on private property or private parking areas without the express or implied consent of the owner or person in lawful possession of such property.

(B) The owner or person in lawful possession of any private parking area shall be deemed to have given consent to unrestricted parking by the general public in such parking area unless such parking area is posted with signs as prescribed by this section which are clearly visible and readable from any point within the parking area and at each entrance thereto. Such signs shall contain, as a minimum, the following information:

(1) Restrictions on parking.

(2) Disposition of vehicles found in violation of parking restrictions.

(3) Maximum cost to the violator that could result from the disposition of his unlawfully parked vehicle.

(4) Telephone number or address where the violator can locate his vehicle.

(5) Each sign shall state “Yuma City Code Sec. 212-15.”

('80 Code, § 30-60) (Ord. 1798, passed 12-20-78) Penalty, see § 212-99

stephenk

sue the apartment manager for the towing charges if the manager was the one that ordered your car to be towed. Take photos of the parking area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">