• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In bad taste?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThereisnoPeace

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello everyone,
First timer here, and I apologize if this topic is not done properly.
I loaned my mother $712.95 to help her when she was in need almost a year ago.
Still to this day, I have yet to receive even $1 back from her, and being my mother I just let it slide, all I would do when I seen her was simply ask for some back, or remind her that she did still owe it and I direly need the money back.
Well, I decided the other day, since I have yet to receive any money or anything other than an empty promise that I would make a contract with a date of half a year, to give her to date to work against, and she refused to sign it.
I told her that I need the money and that I do have receipt of the money order that I signed to the company she needed it for with her name on it but my signature as the customer that bought the money order, and that mothers and children are not suppose to "steal" from eachother like this.
She had then informed me that as far as she is concerned she is not my mother and that doesnt bother her at all.

With that being said, is it in bad taste for me to take her to small claims and sue for the money back?

As for evidence, all I have is the receipt signed to the company, from her name, but under money order purchaser it has my signature showing I paid for the money order...is that enough to win the case on my behalf?

Sorry for the long story, I just wanted you to know the whole story before giving a decision or advice.

Thank you.

ThereisnoPeace

I do see how it can be in bad taste, reason any of this even enterred my mind is the fact that she bluntly said "Even if I never see you again, that would not bother me"
Unfortunately, I do need the money, it has put such a burden on my family and I because we are so tightly budgetted, the fact she has not paid us back, hurt us very badly.
Any thoughts?

Neal1421

opus05 said:

yup...get over it! She's your mother and something tells me that she invested a whole lot more than $700.00 in your upbringing.
I agree. Trust me, she spent a hell of a lot more than $800 to raise you. I have a 2 year old and I spent more than that on formula and diapers alone in his first year.

I understand that you need your money, but it is not worth losing a relationship with your mother. You only get one.

However if you do take it to court, if you do have the evidence that you did lend her the money you may be able to get it back. The only problem is that you haven't said anything about a promissory note or any proof showing that she was going to pay you back. Without that, it can be seen by a judge as a gift.

Betty

I agree with the rest of the folks - she is your mother -- why don't you forget about it. Don't lend her any more money in the future (which I'm sure you won't) if you are worried about getting it back or have a "contract" drawn up. I hope you gave your mom a Valentine for Valentine's Day.
Betty 2-14-06

ThereisnoPeace

You guys are right, maybe I was just mad and surprised that she would say something like that, that I jumped into the thought of taking her to court, which I would now say is a bit extreme, I guess I was just blinded by anger.
Sorry to have wasted all of your time.
Thank you for your responses.

Neal1421

ThereisnoPeace said:
You guys are right, maybe I was just mad and surprised that she would say something like that, that I jumped into the thought of taking her to court, which I would now say is a bit extreme, I guess I was just blinded by anger.
Sorry to have wasted all of your time.
Thank you for your responses.
I thought I would leave with something I have learned to live by.

"Never loan money that you can't afford to give away, becuase you never know if or when you will get it back."

Just a thought. Take care and I hope everything works out.

Betty

I'm sorry you didn't get your money back but like we all said - best to just forget it since she is your mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">