• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making public my email address case for suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bob in WA

What is the name of your state? WA

Recently I received an email from the Mayor's office from a local town. The contents of the email is irrelevant, but what is relevant and what I am upset about is that my email address was made public in the "To:" field of whom the email was addressed to :mad: , along with about 100 other email addresses! :eek:

I know this email may not be a violation of our state's Anti-Spam Law, but is there some case to be made for the Mayor's Office to publicly announce my personal email address (and others) without permission?

The consequences now is that any of the 100 or so people who received this same email can now sell my email address to spammers and further clog my Inbox with spam! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am extremely upset that these people did this when they could have put all the email addresses in the "Bcc:" field of the email sent out.

So my question is: "Do I have a Small Claims case against this action by the Mayor's office of the city or not?" :confused:

HomeGuru

Bob in WA said:
What is the name of your state? WA

Recently I received an email from the Mayor's office from a local town. The contents of the email is irrelevant, but what is relevant and what I am upset about is that my email address was made public in the "To:" field of whom the email was addressed to :mad: , along with about 100 other email addresses! :eek:

I know this email may not be a violation of our state's Anti-Spam Law, but is there some case to be made for the Mayor's Office to publicly announce my personal email address (and others) without permission?

The consequences now is that any of the 100 or so people who received this same email can now sell my email address to spammers and further clog my Inbox with spam! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am extremely upset that these people did this when they could have put all the email addresses in the "Bcc:" field of the email sent out.

So my question is: "Do I have a Small Claims case against this action by the Mayor's office of the city or not?" :confused:
**A: explain the contents of the email.

Bob in WA

Details

The details of the email are irrelevant I think because he could have sent an email saying "Happy Valentine's Day!".

What is the point of knowing the details of the email have to do with his office publicly disseminating my email address to the world?

Bob

HomeGuru

Bob in WA said:
The details of the email are irrelevant I think because he could have sent an email saying "Happy Valentine's Day!".

What is the point of knowing the details of the email have to do with his office publicly disseminating my email address to the world?

Bob

**A: since you elected to refuse to help me help you, all I can say is thanks for writing and have a nice day.

Bob in WA

Details

I gave you the basis question of my case, the details of the email are irrelevant unless you can tell me why they are or why you need to know them to answer my original question.

Betty

You indicate the contents of the e-mail is irrelevant - they may or may not be - as HomeGuru indicated, please let us know the reason why the e-mail was sent to you.

xylene

Bob in WA said:
About 0.001 of a cent. Where are these buyers of email addresses. Spammers buy bulk addresses 100,000 at a time. You are not that special, and if you were you would know to change your confidential email AT LEAST once a quarter.

I am sorry you have no damages. I hate spam too.

racer72

Dude, your way off base. Much like your home address, you should expect no privacy from you email address. Email addresses are dime a dozen, I'll give you 20 free Gmail accounts just for asking. Leave you email address. This case would be thrown out of small claims court anyway, you will not be able to prove any economic damages. Besides, most if not all government entities have laws preventing them from the type of lawsuit you propose. And I'm serious about the Gmail accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">