• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

had to quit, unfair, what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xsuperherox

up until last weekend i had been a waitress in a restaurant that is part of a large chain. i have been working there for over a year and had no intentions of leaving the job anytime soon but the way i was treated by my general manager made working there dreadful.
sunday was my last day, during the time i was waiting to take a table in my section(which hadent been sat since i got there a half hour before my shift started) my manager came up to where i was sitting in the back part of the restaurant and immediatly began screaming at me about not having taken tables yet. she was doing this in front of other employees and guests! she would barely let me speak to explain to her why i wasnt on the clock yet and when someone else was able to explain to her why, she continued embarassing me in front of these people and told me shed had enough of me(im not a trouble maker, ive never gotten in trouble in the yr id been there) and that i could leave if i wanted to.. by this point i was so humiliated and crying because of the way she was treating me that i left. i could not work in those conditions.
this was not the first time shes screamed at me for no reason in front of people. a couple weeks ago she blew up at me for asking her if she wanted a mess cleaned up that wasnt mine, going on about how i never do anything for anyone and she wouldnt expect me to do it.
i do have reason to believe shes discriminating against me because i am not hispanic like she is.

the reason is this:
my boyfriend walked out of the job with me because hed had problems with another manager a week before, and only got to keep his job because the general manager stuck up for him when he had cursed at the manager. after we both walked out, she immediatly termed me, crossed me off the schedule, and rumors went flying about she had fired me. now my bouyfriend, who is hispanic, has yet to be crossed off the shcedule and termed and from what i hear of my friends working there, shes always saying "whyd he have to leave with her?" (as if im such a bad person right?) and how she feels bad he quit.
i do have other reasons..

after reading these bits and pieces, is there anything i can do about this, do i have a case?

one other thing. when we went to pick up our paychecks, we didnt have everything wanted us to turn in so they held them. but they also threatened to hold a couple of my bf's other checks that he hadent picked up recently and i think they did end up holding 1 or 2 that they legally couldnt, and the mgr that gave them to us treated us like absolute crap from the minute we walked in the door,and she wasnt even there the day we quit- does she have the right to harass us like that??

ALawyer

You were treated shabbily, and they were stupid, but I can't sense a case. If they don't give you the paychecks, complain to the state labor department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">