• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prescriptive easement on private & state land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EASEMAN

Arizona.
There is a road without a recorded easement that passes through my property, several of my neighbors' properties and land owned by the state of Arizona before it connects with a public highway. ARS 12-510 prevents anyone from claiming prescription on state land, so prescription can not be used to legalize the road all the way to the highway. My neighbor uses the road on my property and the state land to access the highway. Assuming he satisifies all the other requirements, can my neighbor get a prescriptive easement on the private property segments of the road even though they don't go anywhere without the state portions? Granite Beach Holdings v. WA DNR (2000) says no for Washington state, but does it apply in Arizona? Does anyone know of a case law in Arizona dealing with a prescriptive easement on a road that passes through private and state land?What is the name of your state?

HomeGuru

EASEMAN said:
Arizona.
There is a road without a recorded easement that passes through my property, several of my neighbors' properties and land owned by the state of Arizona before it connects with a public highway. ARS 12-510 prevents anyone from claiming prescription on state land, so prescription can not be used to legalize the road all the way to the highway. My neighbor uses the road on my property and the state land to access the highway. Assuming he satisifies all the other requirements, can my neighbor get a prescriptive easement on the private property segments of the road even though they don't go anywhere without the state portions? Granite Beach Holdings v. WA DNR (2000) says no for Washington state, but does it apply in Arizona? Does anyone know of a case law in Arizona dealing with a prescriptive easement on a road that passes through private and state land?What is the name of your state?

**A: the answer is yes.

EASEMAN

HomeGuru, which question did you answer? Please give me a pointer to something I can research. Even if it's a case law in another state, studying the argument could be helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">