• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I work for an attorney, help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tick497

What is the name of your state? California
This subject has probably never come up, but I work for an attorney who finds missing/ no known heirs after the close of probate. There are two ways to go about collecting the inheritance once we have found the missing person, either petition the court when the money is at the county level, or it can be at the state controller's office, in which case there is only a claim form and no legal action is involved. We have our clients sign retainer agreements, and ask for quite a percentage (legal fees/finder's fees), the problem that I have is last April I signed up a woman who was left money due to the laws of intestacy. The money was at the county treasurer's office, so I filed an ex parte petition to claim the bequest. This particular county does not accept ex parte petitions (they all do things their own way), so I sent her a regular petition to sign, and tried to go about it that way. Well, when I was ready to file my petition, the attorney that I work for told me that because it is a smaller amount (a bit under $10,000), wait until the money goes to the state (June/July 2006) and claim it that way, so he doesn't have to go to court. This infuriates me because it we charge legal fee's and HE SHOULD GO TO COURT but just does not want to.
I am wondering what I can do. Also, I have done all of the work for this case and we have a company policy that, if an employee submits a claim and then is not employed by the company when the money is paid to the company (it can take 6 mo. to a year to pay out) the company will send the former employee their percentage (we get commission). I do not know if I am going to be working here by the time this claim will be at the state level, but rightly I should get the commission for it because I have done all of the work. PLEASE HELP. Can I make him go to court, via whistleblower? Tell on him for his poor ethics??What is the name of your state?

badapple40

tick497 said:
What is the name of your state? California
This subject has probably never come up, but I work for an attorney who finds missing/ no known heirs after the close of probate. There are two ways to go about collecting the inheritance once we have found the missing person, either petition the court when the money is at the county level, or it can be at the state controller's office, in which case there is only a claim form and no legal action is involved. We have our clients sign retainer agreements, and ask for quite a percentage (legal fees/finder's fees), the problem that I have is last April I signed up a woman who was left money due to the laws of intestacy. The money was at the county treasurer's office, so I filed an ex parte petition to claim the bequest. This particular county does not accept ex parte petitions (they all do things their own way), so I sent her a regular petition to sign, and tried to go about it that way. Well, when I was ready to file my petition, the attorney that I work for told me that because it is a smaller amount (a bit under $10,000), wait until the money goes to the state (June/July 2006) and claim it that way, so he doesn't have to go to court. This infuriates me because it we charge legal fee's and HE SHOULD GO TO COURT but just does not want to.
I am wondering what I can do. Also, I have done all of the work for this case and we have a company policy that, if an employee submits a claim and then is not employed by the company when the money is paid to the company (it can take 6 mo. to a year to pay out) the company will send the former employee their percentage (we get commission). I do not know if I am going to be working here by the time this claim will be at the state level, but rightly I should get the commission for it because I have done all of the work. PLEASE HELP. Can I make him go to court, via whistleblower? Tell on him for his poor ethics??What is the name of your state?
So you fill out forms, without attorney supervision? Sounds to me like you are engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

tick497

in reply

What do you mean? I am employed by an attorney, his name is on everything that goes out, he is the supervisor.:confused:
If I send out a retainer agreement for the client to retain his servies, him serving as the attorney-in-fact, how am I being unlawful? Isn't this what legal secretaries do? Do you think that attorney's type up everything that goes out of their office?

tick497

ok

It seems that you just do not understand my issue here.
He is the lawyer, I am NOT second guessing him, I just want him to do his job.
If the CLIENT has signed a retainer, allowing for 25% attorney fee's and he is not going to go to court to get her her money, but would rather WAIT one year to simply file a form that involves no LAWYER at all... (thus attorney fee's shouldn't be taken):mad:
this is UNETHICAL.

badapple40

I disagree. She still gets her money. He is using professional legal judgment to determine the best, sure fire way, for her to get her money. This is a TACTICAL choice, and does not involve unethical conduct.

tick497

you are not understanding

Badapple, she is the named beneficiary therefore there is no way possible that she wouldn't get her money with a simple petition (which I have already typed)/ he is just too lazy-doesn't want to do it.
It is surefire that she will get this inheritance, it is just a matter of time.

How is it ethical to charge 25% for attorney fee's when there is NO ATTORNEY involved?

I am sorry, sweetie, but I was looking for a helpful solution and just because you are an attorney does not mean that you need to defend everyone who is.

I think that I failed to mention that I feel terrible about this because I have a conscience and the client called today to inquire on the status of her claim, and I LIED TO HER because I felt obligated to not tell her that the attorney that employs me doesn't want to go to court for her, even though she is PAYING HIM TO.

She did not contact us to get this inheritance, we contacted her, she did not even know the person who died. We solicited our services.

weenor

tick497 said:
Badapple, she is the named beneficiary therefore there is no way possible that she wouldn't get her money with a simple petition (which I have already typed)/ he is just too lazy-doesn't want to do it.
It is surefire that she will get this inheritance, it is just a matter of time.

How is it ethical to charge 25% for attorney fee's when there is NO ATTORNEY involved?

I am sorry, sweetie, but I was looking for a helpful solution and just because you are an attorney does not mean that you need to defend everyone who is.

I think that I failed to mention that I feel terrible about this because I have a conscience and the client called today to inquire on the status of her claim, and I LIED TO HER because I felt obligated to not tell her that the attorney that employs me doesn't want to go to court for her, even though she is PAYING HIM TO.

She did not contact us to get this inheritance, we contacted her, she did not even know the person who died. We solicited our services.
No its not unethical for him to charge 25% because there is an attorney involved whether he steps into court or not...plus he has to pay your salary for preparation of any legal documents under his supervision....Your just mad because you want your commission sooner...

tick497

weiner..

Thanks, your'e right, I do want my commission sooner, as I am on commission only pay:eek:
so yeah, I am mad.
So he can charge and not rep her in court of law??

tigger22472

tick497 said:
Thanks, your'e right, I do want my commission sooner, as I am on commission only pay:eek:
so yeah, I am mad.
Sure he can... And 25% is common in cases that are 'settled' or done without having to go to court.

I do have to ask though... You said..

tick497 said:
What do you mean? I am employed by an attorney, his name is on everything that goes out, he is the supervisor.
If I send out a retainer agreement for the client to retain his servies, him serving as the attorney-in-fact, how am I being unlawful? Isn't this what legal secretaries do? Do you think that attorney's type up everything that goes out of their office?
Just because his name is on everything does not mean anything necessarily. Do you present these forms and petitions to him to have him look them over before they are sent to the client or filed with the court?

I know that attorney's do not type everything that goes out of the office but they are to personally look over everything and acknowledge they are aware that it is leaving the office.

seniorjudge

Q: So he can charge and not rep her in court of law??

A: Yes and I think 25% is too high for what you're asking about.

By the way, learn to spell it correctly: attorney's fees.

weenor

tick497 said:
so yeah, I am mad.

Absolutely- tax attorneys often represent clients without going into court...workers' compensation attorneys in most states represent clients through an administrative system and do not go into court....

tick497

thank you

Thanks for correcting me. ATTORNEY'S FEES.
Are you a lawyer or an English Professor?

You guys are so darn grouchy.

Just because his name is on everything does not mean anything necessarily. Do you present these forms and petitions to him to have him look them over before they are sent to the client or filed with the court?

I know that attorney's do not type everything that goes out of the office but they are to personally look over everything and acknowledge they are aware that it is leaving the office.
Yes, of course he looks over every petition, but not retainer, nor claim form.
The claim form is issued by the State of California and he does not see it when it is A) sent to client B) sent to Controller's Office.
We have a standard retainer which he wants his employees to use, and we send those out quite often, usually before speaking with the client-to-be.

seniorjudge

tick497 said:
...Are you a lawyer or an English Professor?....
Yes.

You guys are so darn grouchy.

Why do you think all of us are guys? (But thank you for the compliment...the grouchy part, I mean.)

tick497

25%

Q: So he can charge and not rep her in court of law??

A: Yes and I think 25% is too high for what you're asking about.

I agree with you about that senior.
This is why I want him to go to court for his client. You know, actually work for his money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">