• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land boundary question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

major6668

What is the name of your state? WA

I'm going to put up a fence, so I've recently had a survey done on my property. I've discovered that my neighbors dirt driveway goes through the corner of my property to get to their driveway. We have talk this over with each other and both sides have talked to lawyers concerning this matter. We both know that they may be able to get my land because the driveway has been there about 20 years, but I would of course put up a fight costing us thousands of dollars in attorney fees. therefore, instead of each of us having a 50/50 chance in getting a small piece of land, and the lawyers getting our fence money (they want to put a fence around their land also) we have decided that I would give them the corner for their driveway, and they would give me a small strip of their land that would be about the same as the corner they want. So, my question is: How do we do this legal and have our boundaries redone so that the property is ours not a easment?

jimmler

major6668 said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I'm going to put up a fence, so I've recently had a survey done on my property. I've discovered that my neighbors dirt driveway goes through the corner of my property to get to their driveway. We have talk this over with each other and both sides have talked to lawyers concerning this matter. We both know that they may be able to get my land because the driveway has been there about 20 years, but I would of course put up a fight costing us thousands of dollars in attorney fees. therefore, instead of each of us having a 50/50 chance in getting a small piece of land, and the lawyers getting our fence money (they want to put a fence around their land also) we have decided that I would give them the corner for their driveway, and they would give me a small strip of their land that would be about the same as the corner they want. So, my question is: How do we do this legal and have our boundaries redone so that the property is ours not a easment?

Call your surveyor and ask them what would be required by local zoning and subdivision regulations to swap the land. They should be able to assist you and let you know what the process is, and give you a proposal for what needs to be done. You may also need a real estate attorney, and the surveyor should be able to give you some references for ones they have worked with in the past.

jimmler
I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying since 1989.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">