• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

has anyone had problems with Circuit City

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loveumms

What is the name of your state? MD

So, I was looking to buy a new digital camera. I live in the city and hate driving to stores to look - much rather buys things on the internet.

I was about to purchase a Sony DSC T9 from circuit city and decided to read the return policy. So glad I did b/c it stated that any digital camera returned (unless defective) would be subjected to a 15% restocking fee. Has anyone had to pay this? I can see only giving a store credit to purchase an item that is the same price or more but, charging a customer 15% to return an item they are not satisfied with is insane. What happens if you test the camera in the store but then go home and take pictures and are not happy with the cameras functions. You are supposed to be stuck with a $450 camera anyway or take a $65 loss for not being satisfied? Thats crazy.

I noticed that Best buy has the same policy regarding digital cameras.

BlondiePB

loveumms said:
What is the name of your state? MD

So, I was looking to buy a new digital camera. I live in the city and hate driving to stores to look - much rather buys things on the internet.

I was about to purchase a Sony DSC T9 from circuit city and decided to read the return policy. So glad I did b/c it stated that any digital camera returned (unless defective) would be subjected to a 15% restocking fee. Has anyone had to pay this? I can see only giving a store credit to purchase an item that is the same price or more but, charging a customer 15% to return an item they are not satisfied with is insane. What happens if you test the camera in the store but then go home and take pictures and are not happy with the cameras functions. You are supposed to be stuck with a $450 camera anyway or take a $65 loss for not being satisfied? Thats crazy.

I noticed that Best buy has the same policy regarding digital cameras.
A lot of stores have had this policy for years, grasshopper. Keep checking those return policies.

loveumms

My mom bought me a digital camera from QVC two Christmas's ago and I didn't like it. I returned it for a full refund - no questions asked, no restocking fee. I'm glad that I read the return policy but cannot get over how crazy it is. I understand that the company takes a hit for returns and would understand a 2-4% restocking fee but, 15% ... that is just unbelievable.

Anyway, sony.com doesn't charge this fee and they have a MUCH better extended warranty.

I figured I would post this info just in case anyone is planning on buying a digital camera, camcorder, desktop PC, notebook PC, monitor, printer, scanner, projector, PDA, mobile video, GPS or radar detector (which is like half of their merchandise).

I did see that this restocking fee is not applicable in some states (which have laws prohibiting it). Anyone know which states these are?

racer72

It's a way for large retailers to prevent "free rentals" of electronics equipment. There are many folks that need something like a nice digital camera for just a day to two. If possible, they will buy one, use it, then return it for a refund. Many TV retailers use to run into this problem around the Super Bowl. There is nothing illegal about the practice.

loveumms

racer72 said:
It's a way for large retailers to prevent "free rentals" of electronics equipment. There are many folks that need something like a nice digital camera for just a day to two. If possible, they will buy one, use it, then return it for a refund. Many TV retailers use to run into this problem around the Super Bowl. There is nothing illegal about the practice.
Oh, no I didn't imply there was anything illegal. I guess I was just surprised that they would charge such a hefty fee. I can understand though ... never thought of it like that.

The only problem is I went into 2 Best Buys to see if I even liked the camera and at both locations the one they had on display didn't even work and the sales people were like "uhhh - guess we have to replace it". So, I couldn't even test the camera to see if I like it.

BL

Even at Best buy , they will sell " Opened " , or returned merchandise at a discount , CC , yeah is a little steep , but think about it .
I have never seen CC sell opened items like Best Buy , so CC would have to repackage it like new , I guess that would justify the cost .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">