• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dogs trespassing and pooping all in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWMS

What is the name of your state? Tenn.
I saw my neighbor let her dogs out to come and poop in my yard. I went over to her house tonight and told her that I was putting poison in my yard and to keep her dogs out. I also put two signs up in my yard and on a tree, stating that I was not responsible for the health of animals trespassing on my property. My husband told me that if the dogs get a hold of the poison and die, I could be charged with a felon. Is that true?

Last edited:

GWMS said:
I saw my neighbor let her dogs out to come and poop in my yard. I went over to her house tonight and told her that I was putting poison in my yard and to keep her dogs out. I also put two signs up in my yard and on a tree, stating that I was not responsible for the health of animals trespassing on my property. My husband told me that if the dogs get a hold of the poison and die, I could be charged with a felon. Is that true?

Poster:

What kind of individual deliberately poisons innocent animals? You should be charged with a “felon”!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dogs can't read. You can't forewarn them. If you purposely poison the dogs (and it is not that you are putting fertilizer on the yard and they get that) then you can be charged with a crime.

Litigation!

Ohiogal said:
Dogs can't read. You can't forewarn them. If you purposely poison the dogs (and it is not that you are putting fertilizer on the yard and they get that) then you can be charged with a crime.

My response:

Oh, what a pile of crap! Show me the law on this subject.

Dogs, cats, etcetera, are "personal property", not unlike your television, your microwave oven, or your computer.

Our writer has an absolute right to protect her property from intrusions. All she needs to do is place warning signs. If the "property" owners fail to read the warning signs and control their animals, then it's all on them - - not our writer.

IAAL

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Litigation! said:
My response:

Oh, what a pile of crap! Show me the law on this subject.

Dogs, cats, etcetera, are "personal property", not unlike your television, your microwave oven, or your computer.

Our writer has an absolute right to protect her property from intrusions. All she needs to do is place warning signs. If the "property" owners fail to read the warning signs and control their animals, then it's all on them - - not our writer.

IAAL
I was thinking more along the lines of cruelty to animals. You can be charged with this is if you purposely poison an animal. There are also laws against improper storage and usage of poisons.

Danieljs

poison not advisable

I would not advise it. If it can be proven that you put poison out in response to stray dogs coming around, you can be held liable and fined, possibly jailed. Depends on the state laws on animal protection. The only true solution besides a fence, is to constantly charge them in court whether you win or lose and then maybe they will tire of the court appearances.

MoneyShot

I know I'm goning to get crap for this, (pun intended), but what about careful and discrete use of a low power air gun from a covered place? Not enough to actually injure the dogs but enough to discourage them coming over. It's better than poison and I'd save the antifreeze solution for the irresponsible owners. I'm a pet owner and love my dogs too, so save the "heartless" comments. The owners continuing to be a$$holes may be unsolvable. A sting on the butt may get Fido back over the line and after a few times he won't come back. But like it's been stated above, a fence is the best solution to this problem.

BizMan

I had a friend whos cat got outside. As she was running after it her punk neighbor kid was driving down the road sped up and swirved at it and ran it over and then laughed about it as he got out of his car to watch it take its last breaths. Police were called and nothing was done about it... they pretty much said "oh well."

BL

Check your Lacal to see if there's a Leash Law .

If so find out if you can file a Deposition and have to owner fined .

rmet4nzkx

Rotty Potty

GWMS said:
This will keep all animals out of your yard.
Find a friend who has a Rott, ask them to give you some Rott feces, in a bag of course. Then wearing gloves and using an old coffee can place the Rott feces in the coffee can or similar contianer with water to cover and a bit more. Cover this with tin foil and put it on the BBQ and cook to sterilize, uncovering occasionally to stir with a stick for about 1 hour. Add water if needed to make liquid and pour this liquid fertilizer around the edge of your property, the cats and dogs, even the varments will think you have a BIG dog and will stay away. Bag and throw away all containers and sticks used

GWMS

Dog pooping in my yard.

I am a dog lover. I had dogs all my childhood and part adult life. My daughter has a dog that I use to walk before I became ill; (she lives in another state) I did not let him poop in other people’s yard. I took him to a nearby isolated lot. I talked her into getting a fence in which she did and I then trained him to the fenced back yard. I do not have a dog because of my disability. (Crippling arthritis) I also have a fence in my back yard but not the front. When I walk out my front door there is dog pooping on my walk way as well as yard. I did go over and talk to the dogs (they have two) owner to let them know of my intentions. I do not want to step in any poop, especially on my property. Let the dogs poop in their own yard. Why let them come in mines and keep theirs free of dog poop? I think I will use the Rott’s suggestion.

BL

Why let them come in mines and keep theirs free of dog poop?
Do you really have to ask why ?

When growing up in a small village , our yard was it for all neighborhood dogs .

We kids then had the duty of mowing the lawn . What a chore huh ?

We started using slingshots and small stones . The sting factor helped .

NOW I live in a City , you really think these owners will let their dogs poop on their own property . They are actually suppose to pick the dog poop up now ( leash law ) , some do , many don't .

LindaP777

GWMS said:
When reading this, I got the impression that GWMS wanted to just scare her neighbor by telling her she was going to put poison out (but not actually doing it) and her husband was fearful if a freak thing happened and the dog actually got a hold of some poison, the authorities would look to her as the culprit.

GWMS - I would do one of two things (maybe both). Call the police/dog pound and report the dog in your yard (hopefully it's a big one - sound real scared when you call). Or, take a shovel, scoop up all the poo daily, and deposit on neighbors front porch, maybe even sling some ofthe goopiest on the door . . . She'll get the message after a few days.

A few years ago, my neighbor would let her dog out first thing when she came home from work. When I politely asked her to now allow her dog out of her yard while "doing his business", she commented sarcastically, "well, that's real neighborly of you!". I stood there with my mouth hanging open. The next time the dog came over, I went out and put a leash on his collar and called the police and held on to him until they arrived. They went over and had a nice "neighborly" talk with her and told her the dog would be removed and she would be fined if it happened again. It worked. She sold her house a few months later. Moved to some place with "neighborly" people, I'm sure . . .

Last edited:
Dogs tresspassing and pooping in my yard:

Have you ever thought to scoop the poop up and put it on their front porch or in the path where they walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">