• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recieved package I didn't order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maxamillion

I recieved a package from a company via UPS that I didn't order. The package has my correct name and address.
My question is, can I legally keep it?
I live in Mass.
Thanks,
Maxamillion

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Maxamillion said:
I recieved a package from a company via UPS that I didn't order. The package has my correct name and address.
My question is, can I legally keep it?
I live in Mass.
Thanks,
Maxamillion
My response:

Yes, you can.

IAAL

M

Maxamillion

Even if it is pretty valuable?
Can they sue me for it?
regards,
Maxamillion

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Merchandise sent to you in the mail that you did not order is yours to keep. This includes any extra merchandise sent with items you did order. You do not have to send it back, and you can't be made to pay for it. Under the law, this is considered a gift. Enjoy it.

If a private delivery service, such as United Parcel Service, brings you merchandise that you didn't order, you must do two things before you can legally keep the merchandise:

1. You must alert the sender (preferably in writing) that you received goods that you didn't order.

2. You must allow the sender a reasonable amount of time to pick the merchandise up at the sender's expense. You should tell the sender what you intend to do with the merchandise if he or she fails to pick it up.

If, after 30 days, the vendor fails to pick up the merchandise, then that would be considered a reasonable amount of time, and the item is yours to keep.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">