• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorny charging for services I did not authorize?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ommoll

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I had got my visa papers filed through an attorney in California in March 2003, for which I had paid in full for his services.

I consulted the same attorney for filing for permanent residency in September 2005. I paid the consultation charges for the visit. The attorney had given me a questionnaire to be filled by my employer for him to start the process. I did not hire him for the service and never took the questionnaire back to him.

In December 2005, I contacted his office again, this time on the phone, and all I asked him was how much he charges in legal fee for filing for my visa extension. I got the quote (very high) and never contacted his office again, or sent any papers, or signed any contract/agreement for his service.

Last week he called to say that they have already done the paper work to file for my visa extension!. I asked him on what basis- since I merely talked to him on the phone and only asked him about his legal fee. There was no contract or agreement.

He has mailed me the extension papers with information filled from 3 years ago. None of the information (salary, wages, resume, job title) is current. He used the information that I had supplied to him for my first visa filing 3 years ago. He also sent a bill for $2000, and expects me to pay!!

How do I deal with this situation? Any advice is much appreciated.
-ommoll

seniorjudge

ommoll said:
What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I had got my visa papers filed through an attorney in California in March 2003, for which I had paid in full for his services.

I consulted the same attorney for filing for permanent residency in September 2005. I paid the consultation charges for the visit. The attorney had given me a questionnaire to be filled by my employer for him to start the process. I did not hire him for the service and never took the questionnaire back to him.

In December 2005, I contacted his office again, this time on the phone, and all I asked him was how much he charges in legal fee for filing for my visa extension. I got the quote (very high) and never contacted his office again, or sent any papers, or signed any contract/agreement for his service.

Last week he called to say that they have already done the paper work to file for my visa extension!. I asked him on what basis- since I merely talked to him on the phone and only asked him about his legal fee. There was no contract or agreement.

He has mailed me the extension papers with information filled from 3 years ago. None of the information (salary, wages, resume, job title) is current. He used the information that I had supplied to him for my first visa filing 3 years ago. He also sent a bill for $2000, and expects me to pay!!

How do I deal with this situation? Any advice is much appreciated.
-ommoll

http://www.sfbar.org/adr/feedispute.aspx

You don't say where you are from, but there are programs like this all over California.

If you are NOT in San Francisco, call them anyway and ask them about a program in your area...they may know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">