• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

randy pardee

This guy named mike borrowed tools from this guy named Rob and left them in my truck without my knowledge or consent.My truck was broke into and my tools and what I thought were Mike's tools were stolen.Now Rob is trying to sue me for the cost of his tools thaT I didn't borrow.I failed to mention i live in michigan if that matters.Thanks for all your help!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

randy pardee said:
This guy named mike borrowed tools from this guy named Rob and left them in my truck without my knowledge or consent.My truck was broke into and my tools and what I thought were Mike's tools were stolen.Now Rob is trying to sue me for the cost of his tools thaT I didn't borrow.I failed to mention i live in michigan if that matters.Thanks for all your help!!!!

My response:

You will win. Rob is suing the wrong person. He should be suing Mike.

You had no duty to Rob, if you didn't have knowledge of the tool's ownership - - and even if you did, I rather doubt a court would hold you responsible anyway. Under the law, you are not responsible for the criminal acts of another.

Rob should have had insurance. So, if he didn't, he's going to eventually take the loss.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">