• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schnecke

What is the name of your state?

The last state I lived in was Indiana.

Currently, I live in Germany (not military related) and probably am not going to be returning to the US anytime soon. Let's say in the unlikely event someone was to try and sue me in the US one of the following things happen:

*Someone has an address for me in Germany, but it is one I haven't lived at for years. The letter is sent certified and since mailmen and people don't often pay attention to these kinds of things, some idiot in the old building signs for my summons, but has no idea who I am, just assumes I must live there somewhere. Am I still going to be held liable for recieving it?

*No one has an address for me or it is undelieverable. The plaintiff puts a summons in the newspaper in Indiana. Obviously, I don't live in Indiana and would never read this newspaper. Does the summons still go through even if I never aknowledge it? Do I lose by default or can the case never go through?

*I recieve the summons but can't afford to fly back to the US. If I aknowledge this to the courts, do I still lose?

JETX

Schnecke said:
Someone has an address for me in Germany, but it is one I haven't lived at for years. The letter is sent certified and since mailmen and people don't often pay attention to these kinds of things, some idiot in the old building signs for my summons, but has no idea who I am, just assumes I must live there somewhere. Am I still going to be held liable for recieving it?
Yes. The courts won't know that you didn't.

No one has an address for me or it is undelieverable. The plaintiff puts a summons in the newspaper in Indiana. Obviously, I don't live in Indiana and would never read this newspaper. Does the summons still go through even if I never aknowledge it? Do I lose by default or can the case never go through?
Yes and yes, if the state allows service by publication and its rules are complied with, you lose by default.

I recieve the summons but can't afford to fly back to the US. If I aknowledge this to the courts, do I still lose?
Depends entirely on the court, cause of action, amount, specifics... but generally, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">