• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing ATV's-absentee landowner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thanks

Upstate New York

Hello-

I live next to a quarry, which is in a residential zone. It's fenced, but not posted and the fence is broken (the ATVers cut the fence). It is owned by a corporation from NYC. The quarry closed decades ago. My property is adjacent to the quarry.

Here's the situation:
The ATV's ride in there all day. There used to be a few but now there are 20- 30 at a time. The noise is brutal, and I'm extremely concerned over liabilty issues.

The town police, DEC and sheriff's dept. all say the same thing - without a written letter of complaint from the property owner, there's nothing they can do. The sheriff's dept has an ATV unit to deal with trespass issues but say they can't do anything. The noise ordinance runs from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and they're usually gone by 9p.m. so that won't help. I sent the owner a letter in 2005 and again in Jan 2006, but there has been no reply.

I read all 7 pages of posts but didn't see anything that corresponded closely.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to say thanks for providing not only suggestions, but also an outlet for ordinary people to vent their frustrations.

Last edited:

John Se

Post your own signs

spend a couple of bucks and post some signs, then when the ATV's show up act like your the owner, how will they know.

thanks

I thought of that, but I don't think it's legal to post someone else's property. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">