• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney's Negligence/Mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kumar

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My immigration attorney did not file a form in a way as was instructed by the USCIS, due to which I could not get my change of status and thus a much better emplyment oppurtunity was lost which was only available after my change of status. I had to go back to my old employment after quite a few months of remaining in a very tense situation and consulting various other Attorneys about this. My question is :

1. Can I claim compensation from Attorney for the loss in the salary which I would would have got had I got change of status. (There is a huge gap of salary between my old (current too) and the job which I could have joined had my case been cleared). Remeber the Attorney did not file the forms after getting it endorsed as was requested by USCIS.

2. Can I claim a compensation from the Attorney for legal fees I paid to Attorney and fees I paid to USCIS.

3. Can I claim comepensation for loss of mental peace and mental suffering caused for months due to this negligence.

4. Where can I find a good Attorney and how much will be the fees for this case and what should be my best course of action.

Please advise me. I would appreciate if any attorney can also write a line of advise.

Thanks in Advance....

Kumar

seniorjudge

Kumar said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My immigration attorney did not file a form in a way as was instructed by the USCIS, due to which I could not get my change of status and thus a much better emplyment oppurtunity was lost which was only available after my change of status. I had to go back to my old employment after quite a few months of remaining in a very tense situation and consulting various other Attorneys about this. My question is :

1. Can I claim compensation from Attorney for the loss in the salary which I would would have got had I got change of status. (There is a huge gap of salary between my old (current too) and the job which I could have joined had my case been cleared). Remeber the Attorney did not file the forms after getting it endorsed as was requested by USCIS.

2. Can I claim a compensation from the Attorney for legal fees I paid to Attorney and fees I paid to USCIS.

3. Can I claim comepensation for loss of mental peace and mental suffering caused for months due to this negligence.

4. Where can I find a good Attorney and how much will be the fees for this case and what should be my best course of action.

Please advise me. I would appreciate if any attorney can also write a line of advise.

Thanks in Advance....

Kumar

You claim anything you want. Whether you will get it is a different story.

After hearing only one side of the case (your side from you), you have a thin, if not to say non-existent, case.

In other words, you have not won the lawsuit lottery.

Get back to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">