• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steff117

In November of 1999, I was released from prison to a sober living home. My Father paid $400.00 per month, starting on August 15th, 1999, to hold a bed for me. I was initially released on November 30th, so my rent was paid up until December 15th, 1999. On December 1st, 1999, the manager asked me to have my Dad send her another $500.00, as the rent had increased by $100.00, and was now due on the 1st of every month. The manager stated that when I got ready to leave the sober living, that I would have 2 weeks free rent. On March 7th, 2000, she asked me to leave the program, for reasons unknown to me. She aslo stated that she would refund the rest of the rent I had paid in March. She claimed she was under no obligation to do so, but she would. She never mentioned it again, and never paid me. Recently, she put a deposit on a cell phone for me. I had to purchase the phone for $125.00, but the bill was in her name. I asked her numerous times to transfer financial responsibility over to me, but she refused. I finally bought a new phone, had it put in my name, and sent her my original phone. In my opinion, she still owes me, and she is calling me threatening me, and demanding that I pay for the phone. What can I do ????What are my rights ???Help !!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

steff117 said:
In November of 1999, I was released from prison to a sober living home. My Father paid $400.00 per month, starting on August 15th, 1999, to hold a bed for me. I was initially released on November 30th, so my rent was paid up until December 15th, 1999. On December 1st, 1999, the manager asked me to have my Dad send her another $500.00, as the rent had increased by $100.00, and was now due on the 1st of every month. The manager stated that when I got ready to leave the sober living, that I would have 2 weeks free rent. On March 7th, 2000, she asked me to leave the program, for reasons unknown to me. She aslo stated that she would refund the rest of the rent I had paid in March. She claimed she was under no obligation to do so, but she would. She never mentioned it again, and never paid me. Recently, she put a deposit on a cell phone for me. I had to purchase the phone for $125.00, but the bill was in her name. I asked her numerous times to transfer financial responsibility over to me, but she refused. I finally bought a new phone, had it put in my name, and sent her my original phone. In my opinion, she still owes me, and she is calling me threatening me, and demanding that I pay for the phone. What can I do ????What are my rights ???Help !!!
My response:

I fail to see the "relationship" between your rent, and a cell phone. You jumped from one subject to another without tying these two different items together in some fashion. What was the purpose of the cell phone? Why was it necessary?

IAAL

S

steff117

I am more interested in getting my money back from her. She wanted to get me the phone so she could reach me to help at the house if necessary. My point being, is that she is saying I owe her $345.00 for the phone, and she owes me 645.00 back rent. What can I do ? Sue her in Small claims ? She is threatening me on a daily basis

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

steff117 said:
I am more interested in getting my money back from her. She wanted to get me the phone so she could reach me to help at the house if necessary. My point being, is that she is saying I owe her $345.00 for the phone, and she owes me 645.00 back rent. What can I do ? Sue her in Small claims ? She is threatening me on a daily basis
My response:

Sure, go ahead and file. Let a judge sort it out.

IAAL

S

steff117

Thanks for the advice, I will be at small claims office first thing Monday morning.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">