• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a concerned land owner and farmer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocarpen

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I have a problem with my township supervisors. I am a six generation farmer on this farm.A township road with a right of way of 33 total feet in width runs the entire width of my farm which is 4000 feet wide. I have maple sap trees on each side of the road in question. These trees have been there since 1850. These supervisors think the road needs to be wider and i say it don't. Well, they had some lawyer come to our last township meeting. He plainly told me that the township has maintaned this right of way for over twenty one years and under (adverse possession) they could do just about what they wanted. I strongly disagree. Thanks for whatever you can tell me in this manner. Roger

seniorjudge

rocarpen said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I have a problem with my township supervisors. I am a six generation farmer on this farm.A township road with a right of way of 33 total feet in width runs the entire width of my farm which is 4000 feet wide. I have maple sap trees on each side of the road in question. These trees have been there since 1850. These supervisors think the road needs to be wider and i say it don't. Well, they had some lawyer come to our last township meeting. He plainly told me that the township has maintaned this right of way for over twenty one years and under (adverse possession) they could do just about what they wanted. I strongly disagree. Thanks for whatever you can tell me in this manner. Roger

If it's a township road that's 33 feet wide, then that means that the township can do just about anything it wants within that 33 feet.

ENASNI

seniorjudge said:
If it's a township road that's 33 feet wide, then that means that the township can do just about anything it wants within that 33 feet.

Judge, I think Roger is confused about how to post. He closed one of his other threads. I think the problem seems to be that the town is saying that they want to widen the road to 40 feet. That they have the right to do it but won't give up the paperwork to prove it.

Kinda brain over brawn... I wish I knew enough to help, can you?

seniorjudge

rocarpen said:
Thank you for your answer senior judge. I've never used this service before and had some trouble as the other judge said. I thank you for your answer as it is true.The right of way is 33 feet. I have no problem with this, but they try to take more to satisfy what ever reason they have. This is a very out in the country road and is not traveled much.... But it has alot to do with my opperations as a farmer. A quote once said,(If you like to belly ache about the farmer, think how your belly would ache without them). Thank you again..
Roger
You need a lawyer. Fighting government bureaucracies is a pain.

Also, call your state rep and nicely raise some hell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">