• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor is blackmailing us for property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonesmouse

What is the name of your state? Washington. My Husband and I just bought 2.2 acres of land. When we closed 2 weeks ago we knew that there was an issue with the property line. A servey was done for a road aggrement, and we saw that the neighbors fence was over the line about 6 feet. He also has a shed and propane tank encroching.
The property was listed having water with a comunity well. As it turns out He is the manager of the public water system. This neighbor didn't want his brother to sell the property yet he was unwilling to purchase it himself. He has caused a riff in his own family over this. While we were under contract to buy he tryed to block everything he could with the disclosure process. part of the problem with his family is that he refused to sign a water share agreement. we decided to closing on the property becase we were told by our health department that the well in question is a public water system and becase the property had a water connection exsisting he could not denigh us acess the water.
We were more than willing to work something out with the property line but he wanted a total of 20 feet. he was told that we could work something out about the the dispute to the fence line (6feet) but anything else was unreasonable.
He was notified by our agent that we closed on the property the day of closing and that we now own it. He then went on the property with out our knowledge and removed the waterline from the property. I do have a pictuer that proves the waterline was there after we closed. The health department is now going back and saying that they can only suggest to him wat he can do but it is up to him.
He is now telling us that he will sign the papers for the water if we give him a total of 11 feet over the property line. We are angry and we don't want him to get his way by being a bullie. Can someone please give me some hope.
thanksWhat is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

jonesmouse said:
What is the name of your state? Washington. My Husband and I just bought 2.2 acres of land. When we closed 2 weeks ago we knew that there was an issue with the property line. A servey was done for a road aggrement, and we saw that the neighbors fence was over the line about 6 feet. He also has a shed and propane tank encroching.
The property was listed having water with a comunity well. As it turns out He is the manager of the public water system. This neighbor didn't want his brother to sell the property yet he was unwilling to purchase it himself. He has caused a riff in his own family over this. While we were under contract to buy he tryed to block everything he could with the disclosure process. part of the problem with his family is that he refused to sign a water share agreement. we decided to closing on the property becase we were told by our health department that the well in question is a public water system and becase the property had a water connection exsisting he could not denigh us acess the water.
We were more than willing to work something out with the property line but he wanted a total of 20 feet. he was told that we could work something out about the the dispute to the fence line (6feet) but anything else was unreasonable.
He was notified by our agent that we closed on the property the day of closing and that we now own it. He then went on the property with out our knowledge and removed the waterline from the property. I do have a pictuer that proves the waterline was there after we closed. The health department is now going back and saying that they can only suggest to him wat he can do but it is up to him.
He is now telling us that he will sign the papers for the water if we give him a total of 11 feet over the property line. We are angry and we don't want him to get his way by being a bullie. Can someone please give me some hope.
thanksWhat is the name of your state?

Okay, you bought a lawsuit and may have gotten some ground along with it.

What is your legal question for us?

jonesmouse

First; Can he take the water away from the property?
Second; do we have to give in to his demands to get the water back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">