• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Papers, I think they're complete, plz give feedback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amumaugh

Here is a copy of the divorce papers I wrote up. I believe they are complete and would appreciate any feedback. The names and addresses have been changed. They look a little "off" because the MS Word formatting was lost. Thank you all very much for your help.

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF COBB COUNTY

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION
Respondent. NO.____________________

SUMMONS

TO THE ABOVE NAMED RESPONDENT:
You are hereby summoned and required to file with the clerk of said Court and serve upon the Petitioner, whose name and address is:

JOHN DOE
12345 my street
mytown, GA 00000

an answer to the complaint which is herewith served upon you, within 30 days after service of this summons upon you, exclusive of the day of service. If you fail to do so, judgement by default will be taken against you for the relief demanded in this complaint.

This______day of _____________, 2000

Clerk of Superior Court

By_______________________
Clerk

To the Respondent upon whom this petition is served:
This copy of complaint and summons was served upon you on _________________, 2000

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION

PETITION FOR DIVORCE

COMES NOW Petitioner, JOHN DOE, and files this Petition for Divorce against the Respondent, JANE DOE, and respectfully shows the Court the following:
Petitioner brings this Complaint for Divorce on the ground that the marriage is irretrievably broken.
Petitioner is a resident of COBB County, Georgia, and has been a resident of the State of Georgia for over six months immediately preceding the filing of this Complaint. Petitioner is voluntarily submitted to the jurisdiction of this Court with the filing of this Complaint.

Respondent is a resident of Cherokee County, Georgia, and has been a resident of the State of Georgia for over six months immediately preceding the filing of this Complaint. She has acknowledged service of process and expressly waived venue in this case to Cobb County Superior Court, and consents to the jurisdiction of this Court.

Petitioner and Respondent are husband and wife, having been married on or about January 1, 1998. Since June 1, 2000 they have been living in a bona fide state of separation with no reasonable hope of reconciliation.

Petitioner and Respondent have no common property. All personal property in the Petitioner’s possession shall be deemed the sole property of the Petitioner. All personal property in the possession of the Respondent shall be deemed the sole property of the Respondent.
There are no joint debts between the parties.

There is one child of issue from this marriage, Baby Jane Doe, born 9-2-98, age two (2) years.

WHEREFORE, Petitioner prays:
a) That Petitioner be awarded a divorce from the Respondent.
b) That Petitioner be awarded joint custody of the minor child.
3) That Petitioner be awarded open and liberal visitation of the minor child.
4) That the Settlement Agreement attached to this petition be made the Order of this Court, and,
5) That Petitioner have such other and further relief as the Court deems fair and reasonable.

Respectfully Submitted,

mytown, mystate 00000
(123) 555-5555

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION

VERIFICATION

Personally appeared: JOHN DOE, Petitioner in the above captioned matter, and who, after being duly sworn, states that the facts alleged in the foregoing complaint for Divorce are true.

Subscribed and sworn to before me
this _____day of ___________, 2000.

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF SERVICE

The undersigned Respondent hereby acknowledges service of the above Petition for Divorce, and states that he has received a copy of said Petition, and Respondent hereby waives any and all further notice, service, and issuance of process.

WAIVER OF VENUE — RESPONDENT’S AFFIDAVIT

I, Jane Doe am the named Respondent in the above-styled case, which is a petition for Divorce. After being duly sworn, I state the following:

1. I am a resident of Cherokee County, Georgia, and that Petitioner is a resident of Cobb County, Georgia. My address is 12345 mystreet, mytown, GA 00000.
2. I have been informed that I have a constitutional right to a trial by judge or jury in the
county of my residence, and that I expressly waive my right to venue in the county of my residence, and consent to venue and personal jurisdiction in Cobb County Superior Court.

This ___ day of ________________, 2000
(123) 555-5555
this ____day of ______________, 2000

My Commission Expires: ________________________________

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION

CONSENT TO TRIAL

The undersigned Petitioner and Respondent consent to a trial of the above-styled case before the Court without a jury at any time after the appearance day.

Respondent,

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE CIVIL ACTION

SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT

This Agreement is made and entered into by and between Petitioner and Respondent.

WITNESSETH

WHEREAS, the parties hereto are Husband and Wife, having gotten married on January 1, 1998; and
WHEREAS, the parties hereto have lived in a bonafide state of separation since on or about June 1, 2000; and
WHEREAS, without agreeing in any sense to a divorce, said parties hereto desire to settle between themselves certain issues, including alimony, and the division of property between them;
NOW THEREFORE, the said parties hereto, for and in consideration of the promises and recitals herein contained, do mutually agree and promise as follows:

1. CHILD CUSTODY AND VISITATION
The parties shall share joint legal custody of the minor child being issue of this marriage. Respondent shall have temporary and permanent custody and control of the minor child being issue of this marriage, and shall be denominated as the “Primary Custodial Parent.” Petitioner shall be denominated as the “Secondary Custodial Parent”, and shall have the right of open and liberal visitation with said child at times and places to be agreed upon by the parties, unless more specific visitation provisions are set forth in this Agreement.

2. ACCESS AND DECISIONS
The parties agree that the Secondary Custodial Parent shall be entitled to equal access to all teachers, schools, counselors, psychologists, physicians, and dentists of said child and agree further that the Primary Custodial Parent shall provide the Secondary Custodial Parent with copies of the child's report cards, and progress reports as received. Although the Secondary Custodial Parent shall have a voice in all major decisions concerning the child’s education and upbringing, the Primary Custodial Parent shall have the ultimate right and responsibility to decide substantial issues including but not limited to where said child will live and what schools will be attended. In the event of any disagreement regarding same, the Primary Custodial Parent's decisions shall prevail.

3. COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE CHILD
The parties mutually agree that it is of great importance that the child of the parties be taught and encouraged to love and respect both of their parents. The parties therefore covenant that neither will make derogatory remarks about the other in the presence of the child; that each will notify the other of any illness of the child; that each shall cooperate and work together to encourage and assist the child in attaining the highest possible educational levels and achievements; and that the parties will work with one another towards helping the child overcome any problems that may arise in the child’s lives.

4. CHILD SUPPORT
The Secondary Custodial Parent shall pay to the Primary Custodial Parent the sum of $168.08 weekly, from the date of the Agreement until the minor child has attained the age of
eighteen, died, married or become self supporting. This payment shall be made directly to the Primary Custodial Parent in equal amounts every week and both parties specifically waive their right to an Income Deduction Order entered by the Court in this matter.
In determining child support, the parties have considered the following:
The gross income of the father is $3,166.80 dollars monthly.
At this time the mother is not working.
In this case, child support is being determined for one child.
The applicable percentage of gross income to be considered is 17 to 23 percent.
The parties have considered the existence of special circumstances and has found the following special circumstances marked with an "X" to be present in this case:
______ 1. Age of child.
______ 2. A child's extraordinary medical costs or needs in addition to accident and sickness insurance, provided that all such costs or needs shall be considered if no insurance is available.
______ 3. Educational costs.
______ 4. Day-care costs.
______ 5. Shared physical custody arrangements, including extended visitation.
______ 6. A party's other support obligations to another household.
______ 7. Income that should be imputed to a party because of suppression of income.
______ 8. In-kind income for the self-employed, such as reimbursed meals or a company car.
______ 9. Other support a party is providing or will be providing such as payment of mortgage.
______ 10. A party's own extraordinary needs, such as medical expenses.
______ 11. Extreme economic circumstances, including but not limited to unusually high debt structure or unusually high income of either party or both parties, which shall be construed as individual gross income of over $75,000.00 per annum.
______ 12. Historical spending in the family for child which varies significantly from the percentage table.
______ 13. Consideration of economic cost of living factors of the community of each party, as determined by the trier of fact.
______ 14. In-kind contribution of either parent.
______ 15. The income of the custodial parent.
______ 16. The cost of accident and sickness insurance coverage for the dependent child included in the order.
______ 17. Extraordinary travel expenses to exercise visitation or shared physical custody.
______ 18. Any other factor which the trier of fact deems to be required by the ends of justice, as described below:_____________________________________________

Having found that no special circumstances exist, the parties agree for John Doe to pay to Jane Doe child support for the minor child in the amount of $168.08 weekly, beginning immediately, and payable thereafter until the child reach the age of 18, die, marry or become self-supporting. In the event that the child of the parties shall reach the age of eighteen (18) years prior to completing his/her high school education, the periodic support for said child shall not terminate but shall continue through the month during which said child shall graduate from high school; provided, however, that in no event shall the support obligation extend past the child’s twentieth birthday.
Whenever in violation of the terms of this order there shall have been a failure to make the support payments due hereunder so that the amount unpaid is equal to or greater than the amount payable for one month, the payments required to be made may be collected by the process of continuing garnishment for support.

5. ALIMONY
As for Alimony, JOHN DOE, agrees to pay JANE DOE 5% of his gross income, which is $36.54 per week, for a period of 3 years. These payments will stop as of December 31, 2003.

6. DIVISION OF PROPERTY
All property which the parties presently own jointly or severally, whether real, personal or mixed, and of whatever kind or nature and wheresoever situated, and all property in which either
has any interest has been previously divided and the property belonging to each is in his or her possession and control.
7. INSURANCE
The parties agree that the Secondary Parent will provide medical, dental and health insurance for the minor child. Any disposition of any other life insurance policies currently in force shall be at the sole discretion of the owner of said policy.

8. SEPARATE RIGHTS
The parties shall continue to live separate and apart and each shall be free from the interference, dominion and control, direct and indirect, by the other, as fully as if sole and unmarried.

9. DEBTS
The parties agree to each to pay their own outstanding personal and individual debts, including tax debts, with neither paying debts acquired by the other.

10. TAXES
The parties agree to file individual tax returns and to be individually responsible for their own tax liabilities from this point forward. The parties agree that the Secondary Custodial Parent will claim the minor child for federal and states income tax purposes.

11. KNOWLEDGE OF CONTENTS
Each party expressly acknowledges that he or she has read this Agreement in its entirety prior to the execution thereof, and that he or she understand the provisions thereof, and that each executes the Agreement as his or her voluntary act, and that there are no agreements or promises between the parties hereunto except as herein set forth. Both parties consent to this Agreement
being made part of the Final Judgment and Decree of the Court in the divorce action to be filed in the Superior Court of this County, if said divorce is granted by the Court.

12. MODIFICATION
No modification or waiver of any of the terms of this Agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by both parties. The failure of either party to insist on strict performance of any of the provisions of this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of any subsequent violations of the same or similar provisions.

13. FULL SETTLEMENT
This Agreement shall constitute a full and final settlement of all claims of any nature between the parties hereto.

14. AGREEMENT TO TRY
The parties agree that the divorce action filed in conjunction with this Agreement may be tried at any time after thirty-one days from the date of service of the Petition for Divorce.

15. EFFECTIVE DATE
This Agreement shall become effective on the date of the execution hereof by the parties hereto.

16. ENFORCEMENT
Each of the parties hereto shall strictly obey and abide by each and every term and provision of this Agreement. Upon this Agreement's being incorporated in any Order of any Court, and in the event then of any breach of this Agreement, the offending party shall be subject to the attachment for contempt and garnishment of any alimony or child support award.

17. WAIVER OF DISCOVERY
Each party acknowledges their right to discovery as provided by the Georgia Civil Practice Act and desires not to proceed with discovery.

18. ATTORNEYS
The parties agree that each shall be responsible for their own incurred attorneys' fees and neither shall have any responsibility with respect to fees incurred by the other. Each party has either had this Agreement carefully explained to them by counsel, or has explicitly chosen not to avail themselves of that right despite the opportunity and encouragement to do so.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have hereunto set
their hands and seals this ______ day of _________________, 20___.

STATE OF GEORGIA

PRO SE
JOHN DOE,
Petitioner,
vs.

JANE DOE, CIVIL ACTION

FINAL JUDGMENT AND DECREE

Upon consideration of this case, upon evidence submitted as provided by law, it is the judgment of the Court that a total divorce be granted, that is to say, a divorce vinculo matrimonii, between the parties to the above stated case, upon legal principles.
It is HEREBY CONSIDERED, ORDERED AND DECREED by the Court that the marriage contract heretofore entered into between the parties to this case, from this date, be and is set aside and dissolved as fully and effectually as if no such contract had ever been made or entered into.
Petitioner and Respondent in the future shall be held and considered as separate and distinct persons altogether unconnected by any nuptial union or civil contract, whatsoever, and both shall have the right to remarry.
Each of the parties is hereby awarded title to that personal property presently in his or her own possession and each shall be responsible for his or her own respective debts.

The Settlement Agreement entered into between the parties and filed with the court on _______________________ is hereby incorporated into and made a part of this Final Judgement and Decree.

In determining child support, the court finds as follows:
The gross income of the father is $3,166.80 dollars monthly.
The mother is currently unemployed.
In this case, child support is being determined for one child.
The applicable percentage of gross income to be considered is:
# of children Percentage Range of Gross Income
1 17% to 23%
Thus 23.00 percent of $3,166.80 (gross income of obligor) equals $168.08 dollars weekly.

The Court has considered the existence of special circumstances and has found the following special circumstances marked with an "X" to be present in this case:
______ 1. Ages of children.
______ 2. A child's extraordinary medical costs or needs in addition to accident and sickness insurance, provided that all such costs or needs shall be considered if not insurance is available.
______ 3. Educational costs.
______ 4. Day-care costs.
______ 5. Shared physical custody arrangements, including extended visitation.
______ 6. A party's other support obligations to another household.
______ 7. Income that should be imputed to a party because of suppression of income.
______ 8. In-kind income for the self-employed, such as reimbursed meals or a company car.
______ 9. Other support a party is providing or will be providing such as payment of mortgage.
______ 10. A party's own extraordinary needs, such as medical expenses.
______ 11. Extreme economic circumstances, including but not limited to unusually high debt structure or unusually high income of either party or both parties, which shall be construed as individual gross income of over $75,000.00 per annum.
______ 12. Historical spending in the family for children which varies significantly from the percentage table.
______ 13. Consideration of economic cost of living factors of the community of each party, as determined by the trier of fact.
______ 14. In-kind contribution of either parent.
______ 15. The income of the custodial parent.
______ 16. The cost of accident and sickness insurance coverage for the dependent children included in this order.
______ 17. Extraordinary travel expenses to exercise visitation or shared physical custody.
______ 18. Any other factor which the trier of fact deems to be required by the ends of justice, as described below:____________________________________.

Having found that no special circumstances exists, the final award of child support which Plaintiff shall pay to Defendant for support of the child is $168.08 weekly, beginning on the
day of ________________, 20___ and payable thereafter in equal amounts every week.
Plaintiff shall continue to pay child support for the benefit of the child of the parties until such child becomes 18 years of age, dies, marries, or otherwise becomes emancipated, except that if the child becomes 18 years of age while enrolled in and attending secondary school on a full-time basis, then such support shall not continue until the child completes secondary school, provided that such support shall not be required after the child attains 20 years of age. Plaintiff is ordered to provide accident and sickness insurance for the child so long as Plaintiff is obligated by this order to provide child support for such child.

In accordance with O.C.G.A.'19-6-32(a.1), no Alimony and Support Unit and Income Deduction orders are entered because “Both partieshave reached(a) written agreement which provides for an alternative arrangement.” O.C.G.A.'19-6-32(a.1)(B)(Supp.1994).

Whenever in violation of the terms of this order there shall have been a failure to make the support payments due hereunder so that the amount unpaid is equal to or greater than the amount payable for one month, the payments required to be made may be collected by the process of continuing garnishment for support. O.C.G.A. ' 19-6-30 (a) (Supp.1994).

SO ORDERED AND ADJUDGED, this _____ day of __________________, 20___.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I have compared your writings with Georgia law.

It appears you have all the proper forms, and the information is complete. All of the necessary jurisdictional and charging allegations have been pled properly.

In short, it appears you've done a stellar job !

I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you meet Georgia's requirements for a "poor person", you can file these papers "In Forma Pauperis" - - which means that the court WILL NOT charge you for the filing fee.

Ask the court clerk for the listed guidelines and see if you qualify.

Good luck, and thanks for being such a good sport.

IAAL

A

amumaugh

Thank you

Thank you very much. This has been a very hard time for me but because of wonderful people like you and others on this board I will get through this. Thank you all again, especially IAAL, and have a great holiday.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're very welcome. I hope things turn out alright, and goes smoothly, for you.

HEY LEGALBEAGLE !!!

Cancel the tickets. It doesn't look like we're going anywhere after all on this matter.

You can park the Spitfire too.

IAAL

J

jj'smom

iaal

I'm glad you helped her out, iaal. However, I do not appreciate your comments to my post.

Good luck amumaugh !!!! Hope all goes well.

From "earth- shattering" jjsmom.
;0)

LegalBeagle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
HEY LEGALBEAGLE !!!

Cancel the tickets. It doesn't look like we're going anywhere after all on this matter.

You can park the Spitfire too.

No way.. now that I have got it out, there are a few step mothers I need to visit.. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr chinchinchinchinchin..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: iaal

jj'smom said:
I'm glad you helped her out, iaal. However, I do not appreciate your comments to my post.

Good luck amumaugh !!!! Hope all goes well.

From "earth- shattering" jjsmom.
;0)

My response:

I was going to comment at length, but then I thought, why bother? You're not worth it.

IAAL

amnew1969

cobb county divorce

what is the proper procedure & documents needed to file a garnishment of wages for child support in cobb. I guess my questions are these..do I need to send a copy of both the affidavit and summons to the defendant and garnishee or just the summons? Also, who has jurisdiction do I file it in Paulding County where the divorce decree and support order originated or do I file it in Cobb where my ex works or in Cherokee where my ex lives? The statute is very confusing. Additionally, what all paperwork do I need to include? i.e. acknowledgment, verification? Should I file and can I file a contempt with it.. My ex is and has been working the same job for many years making the same income, paying his support on time every month up until about 3 months ago when he moved in with his girlfriend and her two kids..now im not getting anything but peanuts..he's behind about two months now. Just gonna try to do this on my own..my original divorce attorney cost me so much..btw..my ex's dad is his attorney and he likes throwing curves just for the hell of it to cost me more..he'll probably file a traverse..anyway..know the procedure is strict and want to have all my ducks in a row doing it pro se..thanks for any advice

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
what is the proper procedure & documents needed to file a garnishment of wages for child support in cobb. I guess my questions are these..do I need to send a copy of both the affidavit and summons to the defendant and garnishee or just the summons? Also, who has jurisdiction do I file it in Paulding County where the divorce decree and support order originated or do I file it in Cobb where my ex works or in Cherokee where my ex lives? The statute is very confusing. Additionally, what all paperwork do I need to include? i.e. acknowledgment, verification? Should I file and can I file a contempt with it.. My ex is and has been working the same job for many years making the same income, paying his support on time every month up until about 3 months ago when he moved in with his girlfriend and her two kids..now im not getting anything but peanuts..he's behind about two months now. Just gonna try to do this on my own..my original divorce attorney cost me so much..btw..my ex's dad is his attorney and he likes throwing curves just for the hell of it to cost me more..he'll probably file a traverse..anyway..know the procedure is strict and want to have all my ducks in a row doing it pro se..thanks for any advice
Please start your own thread, rather than adding on to a dead post. Necroposting is not encouraged here. Thanks.

p.s. please include your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">