• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limitations on tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

threecats

Out of the blue this summer I got a notice from an agency claiming that I owe $20 for a parking ticket issued by Milwaukee County from May 1994. Yes, almost 7 years ago!
Normally, your registration is suspended if you fail to pay a ticket in a few months, mine has not been in all these years. I don't remember this ticket, but even if it was issued, why the hell are they trying to get me to pay for it now after all these years? Should I just keep ignoring it? I mean, 7 years, come on now!

racer72

Civil penalties cannot be dismissed due to a statute of limitations. Parking tickets are not moving traffic violations so therefore have no bearing on your drivers license or vehicle registration. Many municipalities are now starting to enforce parking laws more stringently and are revised laws that would make drivers license and/or vehicle license renewal impossible till the fine is paid. My advice is to pay the $20 before they start tacking on interest or penalties. The city of Seattle has gone back over 20 years looking for unpaid parking tickets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">