• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 month old child expelled from day care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Popaholic

I work in a day care facility in Springfield, Missouri. I have two children that attend full time day care and a son that attends before and after school day care in the same facility.

My youngest daughter is 16 months old and was just "disenrolled" from the day care facility as she was labeled a BITER. They state the policy for the day care facility says that after 4 bites the child is to be disenrolled and that the child's spot will be replaced with another child.

Employee's children attend free of charge, except for infants, attending in the nursery, who have a rate of $60 a week, unless you work in the infant room, which I do not.

My child was disenrolled leaving room for a full price infant slot, which would turn over nearly double what an employee would pay.

My daughter was disenrolled for biting. She is currently teething which is not uncommon in a 16 month old, and she seems to be biting the same child.
Should they not have been watching her a little more closely? I do understand that the child/employee ratio is 3 - 1.

In the room in which I work within the day care facility, I experience biters often and the end result is not usually disenrollment, three other children have been biting on a daily basis, for well over a year, we have to fill out an incident report any time there is a non-harmonious act committed and yet they still attend the day care.

With other children they have evaluated their behaviors before taking any action such as disenrollment. In my daughter's case this was not offered. They, in the day care facility, have conferred with the parents to review the children’s behaviors and to offer alternatives to the child and parents to assist them in coping with the bad behaviors, kicking, biting, and hitting. This was not offered to my daughter and I beyond the director of the facility, recommending that I bite my daughter back to teach her not to bite anymore. .

A fellow employee offered her own uneducated psychoanalytical opinion of why my daughter bites, stating that my daughter bites because she is neglected at home. She has also shared her uneducated opinion of my daughter’s behaviors with the director of the facility. She claims that because she is a nursing student (she is not even considered an LPN yet) that she has ample knowledge of the workings of a child’s mind. I work where my children spend their days, checking on them throughout the day, I spend time with my children when I am at home. Does this not constitute slander, liable or at least defamation of character?

I have many times walked past the infants’ room and witnessed the attending employees screaming, yelling or generally speaking unkindly to the infants in the room. My daughter would be included in these events, however there were several children that seemed to be the target of the employee’s rage. This cannot be healthy or legal can it?

Other questions that have plagued me are:

The people that own and operate the day care facility pay their employees by check, using a business account, however, I have never seen the break down for my deductions. These people have been receiving Medicaid and government assistance in their personal lives. Is this possible? Are they possibly defrauding the state?

Most all of the foods for the daycare are donated or from the state in supplementations. Yet, the foods that we are asked to serve these children are usually past their shelf date printed on the box, carton or can. And these pull dates are not expired by a few months, but rather a few years. Is this legal?

Is any of this considered discrimination? My daughter was disenrolled because she is a biter, I can concede to that fact. I am however unsure why my daughter was singled out when the owner’s own great nephew is a known biter and has remained in the school for quite a long time, only being disenrolled after my daughter was disenrolled from the day care facility, and only then because I thought enough to question the application of this rule to all children attending the facility. He is not only a known biter, but also nearly 3 years of age, and fully knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Do I have a legal leg to stand on? I feel like they are using this as a means to try to force me out of my position, so as to avoid paying me unemployment if they should let me go. I feel that this is the true reason for why my daughter is being singled out. I attend work daily unless I am ill. I work my full shift and have covered for others when needed. I have performed my job duties to meet their expectations. I still feel a sense of disassociation within the day care facility.

Do I have any legal recourse in this matter? Can I sue them for discrimination, can I alert any officials of the food matters and the yelling that takes place in the infant room?

Please tell me what my options are at this point.

I am still currently employed by the day care facility. I have found alternative day care for my children and they do not seem to be exhibiting any non-harmonious behaviors with the new provider.

HELP!

J

JenniferH

This is not a small claims court matter. I would consult an attorney. Sure, you can report problems to the proper authorities if you would like, but you may be loking for another job soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">