• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnished wages -- default judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brecherdc

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife just received notice that her wages are being garnished because of a default judgment against her in 2002. She is positive that she was never informed about the original court date and that she would have contested it if she had known.

1) Is there any way to reopen/contest/appeal the default judgment from the original 2002 case?

2) Is there any way to halt the garnishment in the meantime?

Any help appreciated. TIA

seniorjudge

brecherdc said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife just received notice that her wages are being garnished because of a default judgment against her in 2002. She is positive that she was never informed about the original court date and that she would have contested it if she had known.

1) Is there any way to reopen/contest/appeal the default judgment from the original 2002 case?

2) Is there any way to halt the garnishment in the meantime?

Any help appreciated. TIA

Before you do anything, go to the courthouse and look at the file on the judgment. It will tell you whether you were served or not.

badapple40

You can usually file a motion to set aside the judgment on the grounds of non-service. However, you should consult an attorney before doing so, and should submit evidentiary support (e.g. an affidavit).

brecherdc

seniorjudge said:
Before you do anything, go to the courthouse and look at the file on the judgment. It will tell you whether you were served or not.
Thanks for the advice. I checked the file, and I saw no evidence that she was served. Is the next step to file a motion to vacate the default judgment, or is this a more complex issue?

Also, would I be able to file another motion to lift the garnishment and return her wages to her? If so, would I need to wait until the default judgment is vacated to file this motion, or can this be done at the same time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">