• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When a bad neighbor is a company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracynbrandon

What is the name of your state? Texas, Brazoria County, Richwood, out of city limits.

I am just about at my wits end. I do not even know where to start or even what to do about this problem. I moved to this house about 6 years ago. Since then, this company, Crawford Furniture, has exspanded and they built this huge white metal building and a big parking lot and the worse thing is they built this road for deliveries that goes right across my entire backyard. It is on his property(5 1/2 feet from actual property line) but my goodness the nuisences. His delivery drivers constantly run off the road and rut up my property, they drive like a bat out of hell down it. We have to listen to 18 wheelers idoling all night long, garbage trucks picking up the big metal bins and slamming them around at 3 am in the mornings. People driving down the road to rummage in the garbage at all hours of the night. We are constantly having to pick up his trash ( cardboard and plastic wrap) that gets blown into our yard. His employees act like a bunch of heathens back there cussing and hollering. Its just a big mess. I do not have the money to put up a fence and I want him to. I know that it will not drown out the noise but atleast I can let my children play in the back yard again and it will keep his trash out of my yard. Two weeks ago, a lady who owns the empty lot next to my house came to me and said she was giving me a chance to buy the lot because Crawfords wants to buy it and build another access road and parking lot on it. I just about died, that would mean he not only took my backyard from me but also the side yard too. I was able to come up with the money and we are in closing right now but it just makes my blood boil!!!! This man has no common courtesy towards anyone in the neighborhood and just who does he think he is? He will not talk to any of us neighbors or even try to stop the trash or the noise or do anything. I am just at my wits end. Someone told me to get a petition started...but where would I take it after I had all the signatures (I know all my neighbors would sign). I thought about putting signs up on stakes in my yard facing his business reading things like "fences make better neighbors", "If there was a fence here, your customers couldnt see this", "You are next to a neighborhood, we live here, keep the noise down", "Keep your trash, your trucks off my property", but would I get into legal trouble for doing that? I need some serious advice here, what would you do?

seniorjudge

tracynbrandon said:
What is the name of your state? Texas, Brazoria County, Richwood, out of city limits.

I am just about at my wits end. I do not even know where to start or even what to do about this problem. I moved to this house about 6 years ago. Since then, this company, Crawford Furniture, has exspanded and they built this huge white metal building and a big parking lot and the worse thing is they built this road for deliveries that goes right across my entire backyard. It is on his property(5 1/2 feet from actual property line) but my goodness the nuisences. His delivery drivers constantly run off the road and rut up my property, they drive like a bat out of hell down it. We have to listen to 18 wheelers idoling all night long, garbage trucks picking up the big metal bins and slamming them around at 3 am in the mornings. People driving down the road to rummage in the garbage at all hours of the night. We are constantly having to pick up his trash ( cardboard and plastic wrap) that gets blown into our yard. His employees act like a bunch of heathens back there cussing and hollering. Its just a big mess. I do not have the money to put up a fence and I want him to. I know that it will not drown out the noise but atleast I can let my children play in the back yard again and it will keep his trash out of my yard. Two weeks ago, a lady who owns the empty lot next to my house came to me and said she was giving me a chance to buy the lot because Crawfords wants to buy it and build another access road and parking lot on it. I just about died, that would mean he not only took my backyard from me but also the side yard too. I was able to come up with the money and we are in closing right now but it just makes my blood boil!!!! This man has no common courtesy towards anyone in the neighborhood and just who does he think he is? He will not talk to any of us neighbors or even try to stop the trash or the noise or do anything. I am just at my wits end. Someone told me to get a petition started...but where would I take it after I had all the signatures (I know all my neighbors would sign). I thought about putting signs up on stakes in my yard facing his business reading things like "fences make better neighbors", "If there was a fence here, your customers couldnt see this", "You are next to a neighborhood, we live here, keep the noise down", "Keep your trash, your trucks off my property", but would I get into legal trouble for doing that? I need some serious advice here, what would you do?

A twelve foot fence around your property would be one solution. (That's what I would do.)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tracynbrandon said:

Was the business there when you move in? If so you really have nothing to complain about. You seem to have no realization that this company is allowed to exist and have a business. If they are breaking noise ordinances or something call the police. YOu say they built on your backyard but in reality it was their property. Also the side yard you were complaining about was not your side yard until you purchased it. Which you haven't closed yet so it is not yours. They would have as much right as you to purchase it.

tracynbrandon

I am not wrong for feeling this way. I have been patient the past 2 years waiting for the man (company) to put the fence up. The activity has increased and its become a huge nuisance at night, I am tolerant during the business hours (daylight) of the noise and traffic... I never said he does not have a right to have a business, but I feel like he has no common courtesy to this neighborhood. I am sure if any of you were in my shoes, you would probably feel the same. Imagine everytime you look out your back door, 60 feet away you see 18 wheelers and zooming delivery vans. Not to mention wondering what kind of people are sitting in those 18 wheelers that I hear idling all night long...or what kind of people are back there rummaging through his dumpster.... 60 feet away from my family. Last year one of his trucks was stole, and I had to call the police several times because someone went back there shooting a shot gun. So am I selfish for wanting a fence up not only so that my family can enjoy our back yard again but for the sake of maybe detering a bad seed from just glancing over and seeing my home and doing something awful? And by the way.... the company was there, but, there was over an acre lot that was heavily wooded in between us, they exspanded and now they are right upon my backyard.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tracynbrandon said:
I am not wrong for feeling this way. I have been patient the past 2 years waiting for the man (company) to put the fence up. The activity has increased and its become a huge nuisance at night, I am tolerant during the business hours (daylight) of the noise and traffic... I never said he does not have a right to have a business, but I feel like he has no common courtesy to this neighborhood. I am sure if any of you were in my shoes, you would probably feel the same. Imagine everytime you look out your back door, 60 feet away you see 18 wheelers and zooming delivery vans. Not to mention wondering what kind of people are sitting in those 18 wheelers that I hear idling all night long...or what kind of people are back there rummaging through his dumpster.... 60 feet away from my family. Last year one of his trucks was stole, and I had to call the police several times because someone went back there shooting a shot gun. So am I selfish for wanting a fence up not only so that my family can enjoy our back yard again but for the sake of maybe detering a bad seed from just glancing over and seeing my home and doing something awful? And by the way.... the company was there, but, there was over an acre lot that was heavily wooded in between us, they exspanded and now they are right upon my backyard.
Okay you have a right to feel that way but the he has a right to his business. I didn't purchase a house next to a business. I purchased in an area zoned strictly residential. That was my choice. You chose an area with some commercial property. That is what you got. If you want a fence up you can put it up. You can't force him to put it up unless there is something in the zoning regs that businesses are responsible for putting up fences between their property and residential areas.

tracynbrandon

Ohiogal said:
Okay you have a right to feel that way but the he has a right to his business. I didn't purchase a house next to a business. I purchased in an area zoned strictly residential. That was my choice. You chose an area with some commercial property. That is what you got. If you want a fence up you can put it up. You can't force him to put it up unless there is something in the zoning regs that businesses are responsible for putting up fences between their property and residential areas.
when we purchased this house there was a field in our backyard.in matter of fact we are in a residential area. our problem is that we wasnt aware of him building up to our back door! I know there has to be some law in our state that should prevent this from happening. i dont live in the city but the business is located half in the city and haf in the county. when we purchased this house the land behind us also had a two story home on it. so what can you say about that??? now he is trying to put a parking lot in our residental neighborhood. if this happened to you what would you do???
:mad:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tracynbrandon said:
when we purchased this house there was a field in our backyard.in matter of fact we are in a residential area. our problem is that we wasnt aware of him building up to our back door! I know there has to be some law in our state that should prevent this from happening. i dont live in the city but the business is located half in the city and haf in the county. when we purchased this house the land behind us also had a two story home on it. so what can you say about that??? now he is trying to put a parking lot in our residental neighborhood. if this happened to you what would you do???
:mad:
The problem is he is allowed to do that. If it were me I would have realized that there was a business around (he isn't that far) and checked zoning. If he is not breaking any laws you don't have a case. You can be mad but it won't change anything. Zoning is on a local level -- contact the county and see what type of zoning is there. Just because there are houses doesn't mean the area is zoned residential. It could be mixed occupancy or it could have no zoning regs depending on where you are. You could petition for a zoning change but even if you got it, the business would be grandfathered in. The county is not going to put a legal business out of business. If you can't afford a fence, then you are out of luck because you can't force him to put one up.

FarmerJ

Well doesnt it sound like its time for you to become active in your township govt? INC running for board next time your township has election ? Township/ city govts can create ordinances addressing all the issues you stated , they can create ords baring trucks from being left idling over a certain amount of time, they can create debris related penaltys, fencing requirements, they can regulate dumpster diving by requiring all dumpsters to be locked during hours that business are not open to the public. list goes on.

tracynbrandon said:
Gee from what I gather from your posts you would do better to move into one of those cities where the governments have all kinds of laws and ordinances that restrict what private property owners can do on and with thier own property.

I had to call the police several times because someone went back there shooting a shot gun.
Why did you call the police? Was a crime being commited. Its common out in rurual areas for people to shoot firearms on private property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">