• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jxoxhxnx

divorce in illinois

My Sister found out about 4 mos. ago that her husband has been seeing someone at his employment.He finally admitted that they've had a relationship for awhile.(approx.2 yrs) He doesn't want to give her up and he doesn't want a divorce. My sister can't afford an attorney ( the one she saw wants a retainer of $1500, we live in Illinois )and I don't have any money to help her get one.They've been married almost 23 yrs and have 4 kids, 2 in college and 2 at home. she has a day-care at her home. So you can see I have many questions.
#1 Will she have to sell her house? she also takes care of our handicapped mom. the money she makes babysitting is not taking care of the mortgage and food.
#2 Does she have any recourse to make her husband pay the bills and get clothes for the kids.
#3 Does she have any thing she could do at all to get him to spend time with his kids? He spends loads of time with her kids and now lives with her.
#4 Does she have recourse against this woman? ( who seems to have a habit of gaining and divorcing men)

ANy response greatly appreciated.

[Edited by jxoxhxnx on 12-11-2000 at 09:28 PM]

LegalBeagle

Re: divorce in illinois

jxoxhxnx said:
My Sister found out about 4 mos. ago that her husband has been seeing someone at his employment.He finally admitted that they've had a relationship for awhile.(approx.2 yrs) He doesn't want to give her up and he doesn't want a divorce. My sister can't afford an attorney ( the one she saw wants a retainer of $1500, we live in Illinois )and I don't have any money to help her get one.They've been married almost 23 yrs and have 4 kids, 2 in college and 2 at home. she has a day-care at her home. So you can see I have many questions.
#1 Will she have to sell her house? she also takes care of our handicapped mom. the money she makes babysitting is not taking care of the mortgage and food.
#2 Does she have any recourse to make her husband pay the bills and get clothes for the kids.
#3 Does she have any thing she could do at all to get him to spend time with his kids? He spends loads of time with her kids and now lives with her.
#4 Does she have recourse against this woman? ( who seems to have a habit of gaining and divorcing men)

ANy response greatly appreciated.

[Edited by jxoxhxnx on 12-11-2000 at 09:28 PM]
1. Probably not
2. Yes
3. No
4. No

These are short answers.. why ? Because she desperately needs an attorney if she wants to pursue matters. You see, there are way to many factors involved.. property, assets, children etc.. With a good attorney, the result should be that she is looked after, she has money for the children, bills are paid and she should get some sort of Alimony.

Without an attorney, she could get screwed and end up with very little.

I suggest
a) If he has moved out, change all the locks to the house to stop him from come and going as he pleases.
b) if she truly can not afford an attorney, then she needs to start reading law and buy a crap load of 'how to' books.
c) Hire a paralegal to help fill in the neccessary papers and to help file for temporary emergency support. If he has left and is not paying for the children or bills, then she needs a court to order him to pay a certain amount to support them. A paralegal is a lot cheaper but can not GIVE actual legal advice.

She needs to save some cash up for an attorney.. Also to note that in cases like this, he would probably be ordered to pay her attorney fees in the end..

T

Tigres

Re: Re: divorce in illinois

LegalBeagle said:

She needs to save some cash up for an attorney.. Also to note that in cases like this, he would probably be ordered to pay her attorney fees in the end..

In other words, beg, borrow but refrain from actual theft. Swallow your pride, pay them back $5 a month (if that is all you can afford) once this is settled. Do what you have to for your family and don't even think of feeling an iota of guilt over it! Your family comes first.

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/big/cry.gif

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">