• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i want my money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gench

What is the name of your state? NY

Ok, here is the story.

I was working with a really nice girl. We were friends for almost half a year. She had a boyfriend and I knew about it. I also knew that she was going through hell with him. They were on the edge of breaking up. Two weeks ago they finally broke up, and on the same hand she lost her job. She was very depressed and I felt like I have to help her. I really liked her as a person and I though that if I show her that I am a good man she will think of being my girlfriend eventually.
I offered her help. I gave her a check for $2,000 and said that she can give it back to me whenever she can, as I know that she has a lot of financial problems right now and I dont have those problems at the moment. I didnt tell her it was a gift, but I also didnt indicate that she has to give it back.
Now she is back with her B/F working things out and I feel like a fool. I want my money back - I feel like if she is not alone - let him pay for her.
What can I do to get my money back and what are my chances? Thank you very much!

gench said:

Ok, here is the story.

I was working with a really nice girl. We were friends for almost half a year. She had a boyfriend and I knew about it. I also knew that she was going through hell with him. They were on the edge of breaking up. Two weeks ago they finally broke up, and on the same hand she lost her job. She was very depressed and I felt like I have to help her. I really liked her as a person and I though that if I show her that I am a good man she will think of being my girlfriend eventually.
I offered her help. I gave her a check for $2,000 and said that she can give it back to me whenever she can, as I know that she has a lot of financial problems right now and I dont have those problems at the moment. I didnt tell her it was a gift, but I also didnt indicate that she has to give it back.
Now she is back with her B/F working things out and I feel like a fool. I want my money back - I feel like if she is not alone - let him pay for her.
What can I do to get my money back and what are my chances? Thank you very much!

First I want you to go [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/"]Here[/URL] and look up the word "Chump".

Then try asking her for the money.

IF she says no... try small claims court, it is a Chumpsaid/shesaid situation.

Neal1421

gench said:

Ok, here is the story.

If you don't have anything that proves that it was a loan and not a gift, you may as well not even bother going to court with the story you have posted here.

Do you have anything in writing stating that she will pay you back, a promissory note or an email ?

gench

I called her asking for my money back. But she said that she is not going to give it back as she would never accept anything from me, if she knew that I would ask for it back.
I also bought few things for her personnaly....cloth, some things for the house. I though and wanted to make her feel better in a hard situation.I bough it with my credit card, but she has the receipts. What can I do to get it all back? What will court think of it?

S

shell007

gench said:
I called her asking for my money back. But she said that she is not going to give it back as she would never accept anything from me, if she knew that I would ask for it back.
I also bought few things for her personnaly....cloth, some things for the house. I though and wanted to make her feel better in a hard situation.I bough it with my credit card, but she has the receipts. What can I do to get it all back? What will court think of it?
Consider all of your previous actions to be an "expensive lesson learned".

I think that a court will think: You were trying to buy this girls affections, and now are retaliating because of her rejection and your broken heart.

Without proof that this was a "loan" or that these gifts were given with "conditions that weren't met", you don't have much to work with.

badapple40

No one just gives someone $2,000 as a gift. Did you write anything on the memo line, like loan? That would have been a good idea. I would state that you probably have a decent chance of getting that back. You could argue that she fraudulently obtained it, on pretenses of having broken up, when that never occurred.

It will be the judge's job to determine the credibility of the witnesses. This is why it is always good to get that kind of thing in writing.

However, the personal property seems like a gift. In fact, I'd say you have less of a chance for that, especially with her having the receipts.

I suggest settlement. Call her up, and tell you will take $1,000 as a settlement, otherwise you'll sue her for the whole thing.

Neal1421

badapple40 said:
No one just gives someone $2,000 as a gift.

There are plenty of lovesick idoits that do things like this, it is not as uncommon as you think

Did you write anything on the memo line, like loan?
That would have been a good idea. I would state that you probably have a decent chance of getting that back. You could argue that she fraudulently obtained it, on pretenses of having broken up, when that never occurred.

It will be the judge's job to determine the credibility of the witnesses. This is why it is always good to get that kind of thing in writing.

However, the personal property seems like a gift. In fact, I'd say you have less of a chance for that, especially with her having the receipts.

I suggest settlement. Call her up, and tell you will take $1,000 as a settlement, otherwise you'll sue her for the whole thing.
I can bet that he didn't write loan in the memo line. This guy does not have a snowball's chance in hell at getting this money back through the court.

I suggest that you do try to work something out with the girl though as far as a payment.

badapple40

Neal1421 said:
I can bet that he didn't write loan in the memo line. This guy does not have a snowball's chance in hell at getting this money back through the court.

I suggest that you do try to work something out with the girl though as far as a payment.
I disagree with you. I give it 50/50. It'll all depend on who the judge believes. And let me tell you, the equities here probably result in her having to give the money back -- if the judge figures she led him on to obtain his money.

gench

No I didnt write a "loan" in memo line. I didnt write anything over there....Look, I didnt try to get in her pants or anything like that. I knew she needed it and I gave it to her. Yes - I told her - you dont have to give it back to me and I didnt expect it back, just because I thought she would be single and it would be hard for her....She was my friend and thats all that mattered. Of course I hoped that eventually it will grow into something else....But now - she doesnt want to be my friend any more - and hey, if she is not my friend - what the hell?

Happy Trails

gench said:
No I didnt write a "loan" in memo line. I didnt write anything over there....Look, I didnt try to get in her pants or anything like that. I knew she needed it and I gave it to her. Yes - I told her - you dont have to give it back to me and I didnt expect it back, just because I thought she would be single and it would be hard for her....She was my friend and thats all that mattered. Of course I hoped that eventually it will grow into something else....But now - she doesnt want to be my friend any more - and hey, if she is not my friend - what the hell?
If you told her that it was a gift then.

You can't put conditions on something that you told her she didn't have to pay back, just because the situation changed. Move on and forget about it.

justalayman

gench said:
You answered your own question. She goes into court with that staement and she wins. Unless you gave it to her with her knowing those conditions, the judge will let her keep it.

Live and learn.

Just Blue

gench said:

It was a gift...move on...don't do it again...;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">