• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession of County Land?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen10001

What is the name of your state? NV

Clark County (Las Vegas) is widening a road that runs along a 220' side of our property. In 1970, a Deed was recorded granting the East 40' of our lot to the County for "road, utilities, and other public purposes." A block wall was built 30 years ago along that same side of our lot and according to the County, supposedly encroaches 2' onto the 40' that was granted to them.

Road work began about a week ago, and a County employee wandered up our driveway this morning to ask when we were "tearing down the wall," despite the fact that no one at the County has ever approached us about the supposed encroachment or about tearing down the wall. The County sent me a certified letter a year ago asking for a temporary easement for their workers to cross over our land whenever they wanted, which I refused to sign (we have horses, dogs, etc), and I instead sent them back a letter with more specific terms under which they could access our property. I never heard back from them after that, other than a notice that we'd be assessed $6000 for the "improvements" to the neighborhood starting this year.

I have been told that you cannot adversely possess "State" land (the property in question is County land), but am wondering if we have any other options since it is County land. Any free advice? We have a real estate attorney but he's out of town until next week.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: I have been told that you cannot adversely possess "State" land (the property in question is County land), but am wondering if we have any other options since it is County land.

A: You are correct. The county is a subdivision of the state. You will have to get your wall off their land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">