• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DIVORCE, ANNULLMENT, OR JUST TIME?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brenda-54

I didn't see this question. I got married in 96, and my husband told me 2 weeks later he didn't want to be married anymore, so I packed up and came home. I got married in Missouri, he lives in Oklahoma, and I in Kentucky. I wondered since the time of our marriage was so short, do I still have to be the one to pay for a divorce, since he refuses? Or will time take care and automatically annul my marriage, like in in considering common-law marriages? I can't afford financially to file. What are my options? Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

brenda-54 said:
I didn't see this question. I got married in 96, and my husband told me 2 weeks later he didn't want to be married anymore, so I packed up and came home. I got married in Missouri, he lives in Oklahoma, and I in Kentucky. I wondered since the time of our marriage was so short, do I still have to be the one to pay for a divorce, since he refuses? Or will time take care and automatically annul my marriage, like in in considering common-law marriages? I can't afford financially to file. What are my options? Thank you
My response:

You're not eligible for an anulment of your marriage - - especially after 5 kids, some or all of which I presume are from this marriage, or you probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

Also, "time" never ends a marriage - - not even a "common law" marriage. In your case, as well as in common law marriages, you must go through the ritual of filing for a dissolution of marriage (a formal court divorce).

Unless you're looking to get remarried any time soon, there's no law that says you must, at any point in your life, get a divorce. You could, theoretically, go to your grave still being married to your husband. There's no law that says you need to get a divorce. You could be living apart for the next 40 years, and still be married. Until you have that decree of divorce (dissolution) in your hot little hands, you'll always be married.

So, let it ride. He'll let you know when it's time for a divorce. Then, let him pay for it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">