• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer being rude

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

takemy$

What is the name of your state? STATE: PA
I fully understand that this is a website whose members/advisors consist of lawyers so I really hope I don’t offend anyone but, I would really like an answer to this question and couldn’t find any better places to find the answer. Sorry in advance for it being so long but I felt like I couldn’t get the point across otherwise.
My husband took very sick a few years ago. He battled cancer, and won, but has recently had some medical complications. About two years ago he had to be intubated for a prolonged period of time resulting in him having to have a tracheostimy for several months. When the doctors finally decided he could have it removed we were scheduled for the operation to close the hole at our local hospital. The operation went extremely well and he recovered fully. We were very happy but, about eight months ago we received a letter from the hospital stating that we owed $36. I called and was told that we did not present a referral at the time of the operation and we owed $36. Mind you this was a $600 operation and Medicare paid a majority of it: our supplemental insurance was to cover the remainder, a whopping $36, but a referral was needed for them to pay this. I told the lady on the phone that we did bring a referral with us and we were not paying the money since we had already given them the referral, which we had and we pay for the supplemental insurance to take care of this sort of thing.
Totally forgot about it until we got another letter from the hospitals attorney stating that we owed the money and we needed to pay or they were going to take action against us. The letter said that we would be taken to a collection agency and it was implied that this would ruin our credit. Our credit score doesn’t even matter since we are retired and have our house and cars paid off meaning we don’t need our credit score to be high. I replied by stating we had already given the hospital the referral and we were not going to pay the bill. He said he had not looked into the referral situation but that he was going to sue us for the $36 if we didn’t pay it. I told him to go right ahead then said goodbye.
I decided it would be a good idea to call our medical doctor and confirm we had indeed gotten a referral for the operation and the secretary said we had. So, I called the lawyer back and told him I had looked into it and we presented the referral when we came to the hospital and I definitely was not going to pay them the $36. I still coulnd’t believe he called us without even knowing the situation in the first place. He got extremely nasty with me and told me if I didn’t pay he would take us to court wheather or not we did bring the referral. At that point I was fed up and tired of fighting for $36 and told him that I was going to report him to the attorney general because his conduct was inappropriate and I felt he should have looked into our situation before calling and mailing threats. I told him I thought he should have at least done a little research on his own, had his staff or the hospital billing department look into the matter pertaining to weather we had actually given the referral or not before contacting us. When I said that he got extremely, extremely angry and told me that now he was going to sue us for the $36 and for trying to take action against him by writing the letter. Then he hung up on me. Another piece of proof as to what kind of attorney he is.

My question is: can he sue me for writing a letter to the attorney general regarding his threats and rudeness? He didn’t look into our case before calling us and making threats and we got word from the hospital that the referral was presented on that day and it was put into his medical chart instead of put in the billing pile. HOSPITAL ERROR! I have not written the letter to the attorney general yet but intend to do so since I feel that he was just flat out rude and arrogant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">