• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do about this???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eve

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In a difficult divorce settlement, I believed I was agreeing to giving my husband 50% of my teacher pension as it would be at the date of the divorce filing. We had been married 23 years. I had taught 11 years before the marriage and I had always remained an elementary school teacher, as I still am. His share at that point was $1,330 a month. I thought it would be frozen at that number amount as everything else was. There were many other issues, such as a business I will be getting no future residuals from, that I was instrumental in starting and helping thrive, and hidden assets, and he took no debt from our marriage, and other things that made me feel a frozen number was more than fair. I had not only worked teaching and for our business, I also had complete care of both inside and outside of the house and the children.

I let my attorney know in no uncertain terms, I did not want my husband to benefit from my continued work as a teacher for the above reasons and more. She apparently did not word the settlement corrrectly. In NJ, if you just write "50% of the coverture portion", his share will be based on my salary at the time I retire. And it comes directly off of my share.

My husband's attorney had quickly sent in the order for the qdro, and they told me I was nothing I could do about it. I filed a motion to object to that portion of the settlement. My attorney sent a letter to the court also, and we had a hearing before the judge. He basically said, ..... Too bad, but that is what the wording says**************. . Do I have any chance at all of getting a different ruling if I go to the appellate court? I really do not have the money even for that at this point. I have taught for 36 years, and I never would have signed the settlement if I knew every year I work, (and now I probably will work another 18) my ex would be benefiting! ...... Any suggestions at all???????What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">