• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrs. Tapper

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

My husband and I had a 1992 oldsmobile car for sale. A father and his daughter called about it and came and test drove it, They decided they wanted and we knocked $500.00 off the asking price. They bought the car this past Thursday and, drove it Thursday and Friday, Saturday she got about 30 miles or so out of town and they said it just quit and will not even run now and they want their money back or the will take us to court, can they do this? Please help as the car was in running condition when they bought it.
Thank you
Becky

Yes... they can take you to court. Anybody can take anyone to court (problem with the courts today.... alot of ambulence chasers that will file anything without integrity).

But aside from that.... did you give them any kind of warranty? Did you sell the car "as is". Does your state have laws against selling a car "as is" without specifically stating what defects (if any) the car might have??

If the car drove for 2 days without any problems and then all of a sudden just quit. Considering the car is 14 years old, I'd have to say something failed simply because of normal wear and tear. Unfortunantly it happened to them after they bought the car.

Ask them if a asteroid hit the planet tomorrow, would they hold you responsible for that too?? (kidding:p )

Understanding that todays automobiles are nothing short of F16 fighters in respect to the electronics they have today, it would be no different if I sold you a used light bulb and it went out when you screwed it in at home. Nothing lasts forever unfortunatly.

Tell them to file if they like. Just tell the truth to the judge and say the car ran fine when you sold it to them.

Mrs. Tapper

Yes the car was sold as is. They were not given any kind of warranty.
I do not know about our laws here in Kansas, any advice on how I would find out about them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">