• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation/ Slander by previous Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arat82

What is the name of your state? Washington
About eight months ago I quit a employer of three years. I did not give notice becuase of what I seen him do with other employees who gave notice. He made them leave on the day they would give a two week notice. Anyhow, a few months after I quit I was diagnosed with Bilateral Carpal Tunnel. I have a claim with L&I after my doctor put me on part time work due to the severity of my wrists at the time. My previous employer has continued to fight the claim saying I never really worked there and I was on and off employee. I worked there over three years and over 40 hours a week. I recently have contacted that company to give them a new address for my tax paperwork after still not receiving it I emailed the owner at the email address they hand out to the customers:

This is what I wrote:
***-
I have contacted your company three times regarding my income tax papers. I originally called in January to change my address information. I still have yet to receive my papers. I am writing this email, including my address information as proof I have requested this from your company. Please mail the necessary paperwork to me. As it is required of you by law.

Thank you,

This is what he (the owner) wrote back:
I was not notified of any address change, your W-2 was sent on time to your known address (as by law). We are forwarding it to you. This is a private email address so I request you do not contact Seattle Specialties here. Besides you shouldn’t be typing, we wouldn't want to be the cause of further injury to your delicate wrists. You still need your hands to feed yourself and if you lost use of those, you'd need to strap a feedbag on.

Can I sue this employer? He has caused me nothing but grief when I worked there. And when I finally thought I was out from under him. I get this.What is the name of your state?

Litigation!

arat82 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington
About eight months ago I quit a employer of three years. I did not give notice becuase of what I seen him do with other employees who gave notice. He made them leave on the day they would give a two week notice. Anyhow, a few months after I quit I was diagnosed with Bilateral Carpal Tunnel. I have a claim with L&I after my doctor put me on part time work due to the severity of my wrists at the time. My previous employer has continued to fight the claim saying I never really worked there and I was on and off employee. I worked there over three years and over 40 hours a week. I recently have contacted that company to give them a new address for my tax paperwork after still not receiving it I emailed the owner at the email address they hand out to the customers:

This is what I wrote:
***-
I have contacted your company three times regarding my income tax papers. I originally called in January to change my address information. I still have yet to receive my papers. I am writing this email, including my address information as proof I have requested this from your company. Please mail the necessary paperwork to me. As it is required of you by law.

Thank you,

This is what he (the owner) wrote back:
I was not notified of any address change, your W-2 was sent on time to your known address (as by law). We are forwarding it to you. This is a private email address so I request you do not contact Seattle Specialties here. Besides you shouldn_t be typing, we wouldn't want to be the cause of further injury to your delicate wrists. You still need your hands to feed yourself and if you lost use of those, you'd need to strap a feedbag on.

Can I sue this employer? He has caused me nothing but grief when I worked there. And when I finally thought I was out from under him. I get this.What is the name of your state?

My response:

From what you've written, there is no cause of action. "Hurt feelings" do not amount to defamation. All this is, is "sticks and stones."

Besides, this was a private message only to you. It wasn't published to an "audience."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">