• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a valid claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CT

I recently had a car accident where my vehicle was totaled. I just purchased this vehicle about 3 weeks ago and the accident happened 2 weeks ago. The other party's insurance company paid 100% liability for it. Since they only cover book value of the car, and my loan was for more than that, gap insurance will cover the rest. My question is, can I bring the other party to small claims court to get the down payment that I am losing out on? Is there anything else that I can also bring up in court? I usually would not bother but these young adults were driving very recklessly (at least 61MPH on a 25) and it doesn't seem fair that I should lose out on money from my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Litigation!

andrea711ct said:
What is the name of your state? CT

I recently had a car accident where my vehicle was totaled. I just purchased this vehicle about 3 weeks ago and the accident happened 2 weeks ago. The other party's insurance company paid 100% liability for it. Since they only cover book value of the car, and my loan was for more than that, gap insurance will cover the rest. My question is, can I bring the other party to small claims court to get the down payment that I am losing out on? Is there anything else that I can also bring up in court? I usually would not bother but these young adults were driving very recklessly (at least 61MPH on a 25) and it doesn't seem fair that I should lose out on money from my own pocket.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My response:

You have my permission to sue the driver and vehicle owner.

IAAL

Thank you. Since small claims court is new for me, I hope that you can answer a few questions. Do I need a lawyer to represent my case? What should I bring to court? How long does this process take, a few sessions in court? If I do win, how long does it take before I receive any money?

A few of my co-workers are telling me to get a lawyer and sue them for my downpayment and emotional distress about not having a car, etc.,etc.

Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">