• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX
I have a question concerning my lawyer......I really do not no much about this stuff, so bear with me....
IT seems like he only bothers with my divorce case when he feels like it.....everytime a deadline has come up, I have to remind him about it......Is that right? Should I be reminding him or should he be reminding me? Please help, I want to make sure that I got the right attorney>.....

seniorjudge

txrose1998 said:
What is the name of your state? TX
I have a question concerning my lawyer......I really do not no much about this stuff, so bear with me....
IT seems like he only bothers with my divorce case when he feels like it.....everytime a deadline has come up, I have to remind him about it......Is that right? Should I be reminding him or should he be reminding me? Please help, I want to make sure that I got the right attorney>.....

Q: Should I be reminding him or should he be reminding me?

A: You both should be reminding each other; you have to do some work on this too.

W

waata99

seniorjudge said:
Q: Should I be reminding him or should he be reminding me?

A: You both should be reminding each other; you have to do some work on this too.

For what lawyers charge those of us unfortunate enough, under our current effed-up system of justice, to be at their mercy THEY (the lawyers) should be on top of every detail.
When and if you were ever a judge, did you need to be reminded by the defendant standing in front of you about details of the case you were overseeing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, see that is what I thought.....I thought that if I am spending on my money on this guy to handle it, he should handle it, and not with me holding his hand all the way through......what should i do?

badapple40

Most judges do need reminded and told the facts of the case.

I disagree with judge's comments about this attorney's conduct. It is the attorney's job to meet deadlines. Malpractice suits are and have been based on attorney's missing deadlines. He has a job and ethical duty to protect the client's interest and zealously represent her.

That said, the bottom line is that the OP would be better served by firing the attorney and finding another. A good attorney will set expectations up front, and will definately keep on top of a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">