• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X-boyfried wants to sue me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jf8812

What is the name of your state? PA

Was in a relationship for approx 2yrs. Gave him a key to my house, practically lived there. He paid no bills, whats so ever. He showered, ate, slept and clothing washed etc etc. But during this relationship he bought me several gifts for the house. I never onced asked for any of the items, he took it upon himself to purchase a washer/dryer, computer, and he also gave me $1300.00 to help with my son's tuition for school. He never said that I had to pay back this money. I never once asked that he had to pay his share while staying there. Now that the relationship is over he wants to sue me, for approx 7,000.00, saying he has all the receipts and that those items bought are his. Can he do this. And what likely is the outcome if he ends up taking me to small claims court.

Help

Neal1421

jf8812 said:

Was in a relationship for approx 2yrs. Gave him a key to my house, practically lived there. He paid no bills, whats so ever. He showered, ate, slept and clothing washed etc etc. But during this relationship he bought me several gifts for the house. I never onced asked for any of the items, he took it upon himself to purchase a washer/dryer, computer, and he also gave me $1300.00 to help with my son's tuition for school. He never said that I had to pay back this money. I never once asked that he had to pay his share while staying there. Now that the relationship is over he wants to sue me, for approx 7,000.00, saying he has all the receipts and that those items bought are his. Can he do this. And what likely is the outcome if he ends up taking me to small claims court.

Help
In court he will bear the burden of proof in the case. He will have to prove to the judge that these items were not gifts but loans which if he has nothing in writing from you, he will have a hard time proving.

Did you ever say that you would pay him back or sign anything stating that you would? I ask if you said anything meaning via voicemail, email or phone conversations that he may or may not have recorded.

ENASNI

jf8812 said:

Help
Sorry we are so happy to get the FA crystal ball back from the shop that we are playing Monkey in the Middle with it.

There are so many sides to this story and so many answers. He has receipts, they were gifts, Small claims in PA does allow that amount, da di da.

Wait for others.

jf8812

Neal1421 said:
In court he will bear the burden of proof in the case. He will have to prove to the judge that these items were not gifts but loans which if he has nothing in writing from you, he will have a hard time proving.

Did you ever say that you would pay him back or sign anything stating that you would? I ask if you said anything meaning via voicemail, email or phone conversations that he may or may not have recorded.

I had a conversation where I said "How much do you think I owe u" recording was out of the question, no emails or voice mails

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">