• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I File?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TimC

I have a small claims court that I need to pursue. My question has to do with what municipality I need to file it in.

I rent out a house in the city of Rochester, NY which is the onus of my case. I, personally, live in the suburb of Webster, NY. I would much prefer to file in the town of Webster, as the wait time and hassle will be much less.

Is there a requirement that I file in the city?

Tim

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TimC said:
I have a small claims court that I need to pursue. My question has to do with what municipality I need to file it in.

I rent out a house in the city of Rochester, NY which is the onus of my case. I, personally, live in the suburb of Webster, NY. I would much prefer to file in the town of Webster, as the wait time and hassle will be much less.

Is there a requirement that I file in the city?

Tim
My response:

You file in the court with the proper jurisidiction, and nearest to where the property is located.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">